• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is this breaking confidentiality?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this breaking confidentiality?

Hi , I recently rang a solicitor to ask if I had a case on a matter I am dealing with at present . I told them the story and finally they asked for the name of the company involved . They told me " we cannot help you as we have representing that company for a long time and will be representing them in any legal matters " is this breaking confidentiality ? Thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Re: Is this breaking confidentiality?

Originally posted by Bobby boy View Post
    Hi , I recently rang a solicitor to ask if I had a case on a matter I am dealing with at present . I told them the story and finally they asked for the name of the company involved . They told me " we cannot help you as we have representing that company for a long time and will be representing them in any legal matters " is this breaking confidentiality ? Thanks in advance
    I don't think so. A solicitor would be obliged to inform you of any reason why he believes acting for you would be a conflict of interest.

Comment

Nope they are completely in the right to disclose the conflict of interests.

lol ( like EXC said )
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I agree.

It may have been wiser to run the conflict check earlier in the conversation, before the story had been told, but it simply doesn't always work out like that.

I think there is zero risk of OP's position having been prejudiced by disclosing "their side" of whatever the story is by this conversation.

Comment

If you become involved with litigation with the company it would I think become apparent quite quickly if any " insider" information was being used.

nem

Comment

As the Solicitor was only told who the claim may be against after the discussion unless he was a mindreader how would he know.
            Unlikely he would be blatant enough to use what the OP said against him would be difficult to prove if he did

Comment

Wales - I always try and find out the name of the potential other side before getting into discussion about the case, but as I said, it is not always possible.

I still don't think any harm has been done.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X