• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Contact with Halifax PLC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contact with Halifax PLC

Can anybody tell me if I am legally obliged to communicate with the Halifax about my mortgage over the phone? I am currently in arrears (only by one month) and have contacted them 5 times by letter starting on 3 October with proposals for repayment. I have enclosed cheques in all but one of these letters and all the cheques have been cashed so they have clearly received them. I get phoned around 4-5 times per day despite me responding to a text message by ringing them and specifically stating that I did not want to correspond by telephone as this means that they have a full record of what was said but I have none. I much prefer to communicate by email (not possible) or mail so that I too have a record - I don't think that this is unreasonable. Despite this request they continue to phone me several times a day so I have now used True Caller to block their calls - even this hasn't stopped them ringing. Before the calls were blocked they never left a voicemail asking for a call back. I have looked at the T&Cs and can find nothing which states that I have to talk to them over the phone but it is almost 2 months since my original letter and all I have received is 2 identical copies of a automated letter and a letter which did not respond to any of my queries but merely restated my arrears - i.e. the obvious and enclosed a Money Advice Service booklet which ironically advises that you keep contacting your lender which I have done! I am beyond frustrated and have told the Halifax if they don't send a written response by Monday next week then I will send all copies of correspondence to the Ombudsman - can anybody help.......??
    Tags: None

Re: Contact with Halifax PLC

Originally posted by Zlotty View Post
    Can anybody tell me if I am legally obliged to communicate with the Halifax about my mortgage over the phone?
    In a word, no. In fact, it's always better to keep it all in writing. :typing:

Originally posted by Zlotty View Post
    I am currently in arrears (only by one month) and have contacted them 5 times by letter starting on 3 October with proposals for repayment. I have enclosed cheques in all but one of these letters and all the cheques have been cashed so they have clearly received them. I get phoned around 4-5 times per day despite me responding to a text message by ringing them and specifically stating that I did not want to correspond by telephone as this means that they have a full record of what was said but I have none. I much prefer to communicate by email (not possible) or mail so that I too have a record - I don't think that this is unreasonable. Despite this request they continue to phone me several times a day so I have now used True Caller to block their calls - even this hasn't stopped them ringing. Before the calls were blocked they never left a voicemail asking for a call back. I have looked at the T&Cs and can find nothing which states that I have to talk to them over the phone but it is almost 2 months since my original letter and all I have received is 2 identical copies of a automated letter and a letter which did not respond to any of my queries but merely restated my arrears - i.e. the obvious and enclosed a Money Advice Service booklet which ironically advises that you keep contacting your lender which I have done! I am beyond frustrated and have told the Halifax if they don't send a written response by Monday next week then I will send all copies of correspondence to the Ombudsman - can anybody help.......??
    They can't have T&C stating you must communicate over the phone, official matters like these should be in writing. You've been doing the right thing communicating with them. However, before you complain to the Ombudsman you need to complain to the Halifax and they have 8 weeks to respond to your complaint. You need to either get their final response or give them 8 weeks before going to the FOS: http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.u...complaints.htm
    1. get in touch with your bank, insurance company or finance firm

It's important that you tell the business you're unhappy with – and give them a chance to look into your problem. Under the rules they have eight weeks to do this.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X