• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

new to here. help needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to here. help needed

Hi
    I have a debt company chasing me for a debt that is over 10 years old. This has gone from my credit rating etc. What can I do to stop them.
    Also I have a 4 year old ccj showing on my credit rating which I have no idea what it is for because it does not say. what can i do about this Your help would most appreciated.
    thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Re: new to here. help needed

Originally posted by Valkr View Post
    Hi
    I have a debt company chasing me for a debt that is over 10 years old. This has gone from my credit rating etc. What can I do to stop them.
    Also I have a 4 year old ccj showing on my credit rating which I have no idea what it is for because it does not say. what can i do about this Your help would most appreciated.
    thanks in advance
    HI, Can you tell me which company is chasing this debt? Are they writing to you/telephoning/text or e-mailing.

The debt will have been removed from credit files on the 6th anniversary of the default date paid or not.#
    You can fined out about the CCJ using trust online website (the Registry Trust) there is a charge or each address you need to check £4 I think.

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
      HI, Can you tell me which company is chasing this debt? Are they writing to you/telephoning/text or e-mailing.

The debt will have been removed from credit files on the 6th anniversary of the default date paid or not.#
      You can fined out about the CCJ using trust online website (the Registry Trust) there is a charge or each address you need to check £4 I think.
      Firstly I would like to thank you for your help.
      Lowell is chasing the debt by letter, although I have not contacted them or replied to them as it stands. It is not on my credit rating list - only that they have looked at it.
      On the CCJ - I contacted the Registry Trust already and paid the £4 but it only stated that it is an amount for £721 at the Northampton County Court but I think this is Activ Kapital as they have been ringing on automated calls to my mobile. This initially was something that was nearly finished, and I became out of work and they took it court and got a CCJ in 2010 to stop it going off my credit performance? Is there anything I can do to get rid of it?

Comment

The CCJ isn't clear, because first you say you don't know what it is for, then you provide the details. Did you actually know about the claim at the time? If so that was the time you could have fought it.

Its much harder to get a CCJ set aside after it is registered, particularly after such a long time. If you didn't know about it at the time (perhaps by having moved) then that might be an argument, but even then its tough after so long.

Comment

Originally posted by Valkr View Post
          Firstly I would like to thank you for your help.
          Lowell is chasing the debt by letter, although I have not contacted them or replied to them as it stands. It is not on my credit rating list - only that they have looked at it.
          On the CCJ - I contacted the Registry Trust already and paid the £4 but it only stated that it is an amount for £721 at the Northampton County Court but I think this is Activ Kapital as they have been ringing on automated calls to my mobile. This initially was something that was nearly finished, and I became out of work and they took it court and got a CCJ in 2010 to stop it going off my credit performance? Is there anything I can do to get rid of it?
          Hi, If you want to be sure what the CCJ is you can ring Northampton Court quote case number and date of judgement that will be able to tell you who the claimant is.
          A CCJ remains on the credit files for 6 years from the date of the judgement.
          As this is a 2010 judgement it's too late to get is set aside, and even if you pay it off it will still be a matter of public record that there was a judgement.

What we need to look at is the status of the debt Lowell is chasing is it statute barred, for the debt to be SB , there cannot have been any payment from any source made to the account in 6 clear years, nor any unequivocal written acknowledgment of liability for the debt.

As defaulted accounts are removed from credit files after 6 years paid or not , just being off the files does not always mean the debt is SB.

If your debt meets the criteria above the next action is to send Lowell a Statute Barred letter along the lines of:-

Ms Sara de Tute
          Director of Legal & Compliance
          The Lowell Group
          Ellington House
          9 Savannah Way
          Leeds Valley Park
          Leeds
          LS10 1AB

date:
          Ref: Use Lowells

Dear Ms de Tute,

I refer you to correspondence from Lowell regarding an alleged debt for £xxxx.xx arising from an account with xxxxxxxxxxxxx, please note I do not acknowledge any debt to the Lowell Group.

I thank Lowell for prompting me to review my credit history and having done so I have concluded any such alleged debt is now statute barred, therefore I will not make any payment or offer of payment now or in the future.

Please take not that any claims of " one off payments " in the past 6 years will be totally refuted.

Lowell will now cease processing all data relating to me and remove it from its records and will confirm in writing that it has done so.

This is my final response.

Use signed for post and check receipt, If you choose to use this draft.

nem.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X