• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hello newbie requiring info on dreaded CTR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello newbie requiring info on dreaded CTR

I am really seeking some advice on a situation. For years I have used a male friend's address for correspondence due to being homeless after the marriage of my parents fell apart whilst I was elsewhere in country at uni. When I returned to my home county I was lodging with other friends here and there to get back on track, had to get a job and save money to find my own place.
    Unfortunaty one of my friends where I stayed a couple of nights here and there left the country a few weeks back. i had a lot of my belongings there and had to now store them at my male friend's in his spare room.
    My problem is that I did not reside at my male friends until recent events in the past few weeks. He has mental disabillities and receives ESA and housing benefits. He also has a 2 bed property so I have occupied the 2nd room for a few weeks which he pays bedroom tax on and we looked at options of me going on his tenency and spliting the bill and how his benefits would be affected.
    We have never been involved romantically (as I am not that way inclined).
    Timing could not be worse as he received a letter from Council for Single Occupancy Council Tax Discount at 25%
    I went to my local CAB to seek further advice and explained the situation. I was disgusted by the answer I recieved by the assistant that 'someone grassed him in as not living alone' (However I know that this is now what local councils are doing up and down the country) and that 'if I went on the tenency we would be means tested as a couple not 2 seperate occupants' and to 'move out quick'
    i am not elidgible for any assistance from benefits or council as I am over the financial threshold and as it is a 2 bed property it is beyond my finacial means as I would be liable for full rent and council tax and thats without utilities added.
    I have looked over this council letter for my friend and am worried because they will find that I have used the address and accuse him of not disclosing a 'change of circumstance' due to their bullying and dirty tactics of using credit agencies
    As far as I was aware I did not think I was doing wrong as there is nothing illegal about using an address, and I can stay over 2 nights a week but in the eyes of the council and benefits office my friend has done wrong.
    i cannot prove I have resided elsewhere and am in limbo as to what happens next, the council are no help and neither the CAB. My friend is beside himself as he is worried he will lose his entitlements and be made to pay for the years of his entitlements where I have used his address for correspondence.

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X