• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hi all

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all

Hi everyone I just joined and wanted to say hi ,
    I am looking for advice on bank charges and reclaiming them on the grounds of financial hardship, in 6 years since my wife was forced to finish work to become my carer and dispite the citizans advice contacting the bank to tell them we were , the bank have charged us 2000 pounds nearly in charges for going over our overdraft some as much as £95 which is well more y han half a weeks money we recive I have complained and been offered £400 as a good will gesture , can anyone advise me if they think ee have a good case to go forward or to take the 400
    Many thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Hi all

Originally posted by Rince2028 View Post
    Hi everyone I just joined and wanted to say hi ,
    I am looking for advice on bank charges and reclaiming them on the grounds of financial hardship, in 6 years since my wife was forced to finish work to become my carer and dispite the citizans advice contacting the bank to tell them we were , the bank have charged us 2000 pounds nearly in charges for going over our overdraft some as much as £95 which is well more than half a weeks money we recive. I have complained and been offered £400 as a good will gesture , can anyone advise me if they think ee have a good case to go forward or to take the 400
    Many thanks
    Hmm no replies did I type somthing wrong hope I didnt piss anyone off if I did then I am sorry

Comment

Noooooooooo, sorry to have missed your post and welcome, belatedly - things are just a little manic at the moment on the forum xxx I'm just having a read of your first post xx
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Sorry Rince and welcome, sometimes posts do get missed sadly, I am not the one who can answer your problem but am sure someone who can will be along soon.
        Enaid x

Comment

We're like buses

So Nationwide, despite already knowing you are in financial difficulty, saw fit to charge you £2k in bank charges - that's not something that is easy to come back from.

So you put a formal complaint in to Nationwide and their response is £400 goodwill ? I would take your case to the Financial Ombudsman next then if you don't feel that £400 is fair.

Its very tough to tell without knowing how your account operated - if you look at your statements over the period is it the charges that kept you over your overdraft thus incurring more charges, or was it things like Direct Debits taking you over ?
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Not sticking me nose in here Rince just wondered if you are getting all you are entitled to for yourself and your wife as a full time carer.
            No need to reply if you don't want, just trying to help
            Enaid x

Comment

Hi sorry it is lloyds that im in conflict with , the charges are mainly going over limit because of charges or because of account fees that im trying to get back aswell ,
              They offered £410 this is charges for last 12 months this they have already put into my account and said it will remain there even if I take things further as they think this is a good offer,, they only took the charges. They looked st back to 2009 even tho I have 2008 aswell , they said they offered advice when contacted about ubfair individual charges evenif ghey never refunded any , at times the charges have left us without money for food or basics because im disabled and my wife is my fyll time carer , she had to finish work to look after me full time thus loosing us 18k a year but we had no choice,, early 2009 citizans advice rang lloyds to tell them we were in baf shape and had not emough money to clear any debts, I phoned lloyds and said would they off more say 1k and let us have half back but she was adament that 400 was good

Sorry if ive babbled I have so much in my head and find it hard to condense
              Many thanks for amy replies of hi or advice
              Can somone tell me what poc stands for i reaad it ob message about somone eho lloyds paid out

Comment

Hi , np your not being nosey , im getting all I can my wifes carer allowence gets halved because I get incapacity benifit so she gets £26 extra a week for doing things to help , e no one should have to dl

Comment

Sorry not sure where Nationwide came from, must just be in my head lol. Lloyds is even better - have you read the Oliver Foster-Burnell v Lloyds judgment ? (if you google it will find it on here) Its a bit of a long read, but basically their is a term in the current account agreement that traps you into this cycle of charges which has been deemed unfair by a court. So we can help you reply to their offer bringing up some of the points from that judgment to hopefully get you a bit of a higher offer. The case is actually under appeal on the 29th so watch this space

You really do sound like you'd have a good case.

With their £400 offer they have put into your account, have you written to them turning it down ?
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                    Sorry not sure where Nationwide came from, must just be in my head lol. Lloyin the account even I we took the matter to the ombudsmans is even better - have you read the Oliver Foster-Burnell v Lloyds judgment ? (if you gooeVgle it will find it on here) Its a bit of a long read, but basically their is a term in the current account agreement that traps you into this cycle of charges which has been deemed unfair by a court. So we can help you reply to their offer bringing up some of the points from that judgment to hopefully get you a bit of a higher offer. The case is actually under appeal on the 29th so watch this space

You really do sound like you'd have a good case.

With their £400 offer they have put into your account, have you written to them turning it down ?
                    My wife spoke yesterday to them and asked for more money they said no and that the £400 would stay In the account even if we took the matter to the ombudsman she said no one would take it from the account , which seams strange to me , she said we would recive there final latter in a few days and ghen if we wanfed to go further that was upto us but they wont budge

Comment

I just spoke to bank they said the money wont come out of account no matter what we do

Comment

Okay just leave that money in the account. It doesn't matter, so long as you have told them that you do not accept it as settlement of your complaint - have you done that in writing?
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

No not yet we have spoken over the phone but I will draft a letter now and send it ,,I looked at the case judgment you mentioned but omg im so lost when reading it I used to be a flooring contractor ,but dont think im thick lol but thats heavy reading I will sit down with my wife anf try. Again
                          Btw msny manh thanks for help from all , if anyone needs flooring advice lrt me know lol I would like to repay kindness of
                          Rople

Comment

Yes it is a little heavy.... thankfully we have a few people on here who understand it completely so we'll help you.

Basically there's a couple of terms in the Lloyd's agreement which mean they have the right to change the charges amounts but don't give you the right to leave the contract if you are in an overdraft position, thus trapping you into this cycle of charges and debt.

Draft a letter and post it up here before sending as we can try add a little bit to it to encourage them to up the offer.
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                              Yes it is a little heavy.... thankfully we have a few people on here who understand it completely so we'll help you.

Basically there's a couple of terms in the Lloyd's agreement which mean they have the right to change the charges amounts but don't give you the right to leave the contract if you are in an overdraft position, thus trapping you into this cycle of charges and debt.

Draft a letter and post it up here before sending as we can try add a little bit to it to encourage them to up the offer.
                              Hi after speaking with the woman who is dealing with my complaint today I think she has sent her final findings letter out to us already once I recive this is it to late and would I then need to go to ombudsman
                              I also have a compkain going with them for account fees and them being misold but I did not yet recive a reply about them because somtimes the account monthly fees took us over our limit were paying £17 a month but did not know about any benifits . But if you think a new letter is ok I will try and do it quoting what you said in your last messaage jf thats ok

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X