• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hi everyone, question on courts and mortgages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi everyone, question on courts and mortgages

Hello all,

Glad to have found this site and hope you may be able to help and guide me to the right section.

In 2006 I bought an apartment in Cardiff from a guy selling apartments who turned out to be a bit crocked. He sold lots of apartments to people with good credit ratings ( and normally at a community church in south west London) but unknown to us the flats were over priced and had a high interest rate which he said would either decrease when we could re-mortgage or we could sell them in 2 years. Then came the crash in 2008. About 38 people I believe were left with an apartment with high mortgages and with negative equity. I believe all but one apartment was repossessed. It seemed somewhat strange that I never heard anything from the mortgage company who were GMAC and then Oakwood Homeloans. When I spoke to the agent that was used to sell the flats to us he said it was likely that the mortgage company wanted to take the property back to get the insurance ( as apparently all mortgage companies insure against people not be able to meet their mortgage payments) and sell the flats and take the rest of the money. I hadnt heard anything from them and assumed that this was the case as the agent also said there was an investigation going on regarding the properties and how they were sold to us. Since around 2004 i've also had my name on my sister mortgage as it helped her get a mortgage because she is single parent with a child. Last Thursday a letter arrived at her flat saying her and I were being taken to court for the mortgage I had in Cardiff, she is distraught as to be expected. I called the company Optalegal who were the ones who sent the letter and they said it was me that was being taken to court for money I may have in my sisters flat. I explained that I have no money in the flat and that it was her money used for the deposit and she is the one who pays the mortgage and my name is on the mortgage so that she was able to get a mortgage and they have asked me to prove that which I believe I can as I have the paperwork showing where the mortgage is paid from and where the deposit came, she is also the person registered at her flat and she pays all the bills. The people at Optalegal have said that I need to send the information in and neither of us need to attend court, but I checked the company out on-line and there are allot of complaints about them concerning cases where they have started court proceedings without informing the person (which it looks like with me as they have already put a mark on land registry so that my sister cant move from the flat) and also them doing things slightly underhand. I'm now wondering if they don't want me to attend so that they can try and take her property. I will go to court but don't know if I should take legal representation as the court date is Friday and the letter only arrived last Thursday and i'm not even sure of my rights. Can they actually take her property? I hope not but not sure

Any assistance is greatly received, I hope this one isn't too complicated

Many Thanks

Stephen
    Tags: None

Re: Hi everyone, question on courts and mortgages

What exactly is being decided at court on Friday?

If it is an application for repossession then yes, an order could be made.

I'm afraid the fact that you now consider the mortgage interest rate to have been too high and the flat overpriced is neither here nor there at this stage.

Either you or your sister should have details of the claim currently before the court.

In general terms, if there is a court hearing, it will always be in your interests to show up.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemLS View Post
      What exactly is being decided at court on Friday?

If it is an application for repossession then yes, an order could be made.

I'm afraid the fact that you now consider the mortgage interest rate to have been too high and the flat overpriced is neither here nor there at this stage.

Either you or your sister should have details of the claim currently before the court.

In general terms, if there is a court hearing, it will always be in your interests to show up.

Hi Steven, thanks

It's a Charging Order that they have sent

Regards

Stephen

Comment

So, it is an application for a charging order?

(Meaning that there isn't currently a charging order in place?)

How much are the arrears (and how much is the balance of the mortgage?)

If it is an application for a charging order, that would normally need to be followed by a seperate application for an Order for Sale - so repossession sholuld not be an issue for this week.

Generally, when they grant a charging order, the court will fix a payment (having regard to your financial circumstances) at which the arearrs need to be repaid.

Comment

Hi Steven

The balance is £93,000.

The issue is that they have put the notice on my sisters property as I appear on her mortgage, she is concerned they could take her property. I was on the mortage bacause she is a single parent and needed a second person for a mortgage. This was some time before i bought the flat in Cardiff.

Ok thanks i will be attending on Friday. My sister spoke to the solicitor who worked with her on buying the property and they have suggested she get a litigation solicitor. I am looking to get one as i wont be eligable for legal aid as i'm a contrator although my contract actually finnishes in a weeks time. I have sent the information to the court proving that I have no financial interest in the property as my sister she has paid for it with the deposit from her first aparment, she lives there and pays the bills and the mortgage and always has done, around 7 years i believe. I live outside London. I have sent the stuff in but am fearful that they may say that even though i have not put any money into the property and dont pay the mortgage I could still be seen as legal beneficary of the property or something like that and still try to take half of it or make her sell even though i dont have any money in the property.

Concerning a getting some defence is there a place that is avalaible to look for such things or do I just have to ring around. The case is in Carriff county court. The case has not given me much time as i only received the first letter on Thursday 7th and the case is at 2:00 oclock this Friday 15th and most of that time has been spent trying to find the paper work that proves that I have no financial interest in the property.

Many Thanks

Stephen

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X