• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Overpayment of pension

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overpayment of pension

My mother died November 2013. She used to get a pension from Malta and they say that she was overpaid by £199 and I have to pay it back. The little money that she left went towards her funeral and other payments and there is nothing left, in fact I am out of pocket. Malta High Commission have inundated me with emails and letters demanding payment, and I have found this very tough as mum died suddenly and I am finding it difficult to come to terms with her death. I have explained all this to them but they say it's not their problem and I am liable for the debt. Is this true as I am beside myself with worry as I don't have the money to pay them.
    Tags: None

Re: Overpayment of pension

Hi,
    No you are not responsible for her debts.......
    In the UK the estate of the deceased is liable for any debts outstanding at the time of her death, and there is a strict order in which the debts are to be paid off.
    Whoever acts as executor should deal with her debts.
    Funeral costs take priority when it comes to distributing assets.
    The tax-man/government agencies get second choice.
    And so on it goes until nothing is left.
    After which time creditors will have to write off the debt.
    Write another letter to the Maltese High Commissioner, stating that you are not going to pay them any money, until and unless they can show proof that you are responsible for your mothers debt.
    Ignore any demands from them for money.
    As I stated, in the UK, the estate is responsible for the debt.
    Unless you were part of the debt in the first place.
    “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Thank you so much. I have explained over and over to them that mum left £1000 in her bank account and her funeral was over £3000, so I had to pay the excess, but they say that they are not interested in how much the funeral cost - they want their money. I have been so upset by their constant written demands whilst trying to grieve for mum. I shall write to them again as per your suggestion. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by emw View Post
        Thank you so much. I have explained over and over to them that mum left £1000 in her bank account and her funeral was over £3000, so I had to pay the excess, but they say that they are not interested in how much the funeral cost - they want their money. I have been so upset by their constant written demands whilst trying to grieve for mum. I shall write to them again as per your suggestion. Thanks again.
        Just let them waste their money on postage and administration fees.
        Find yourself a nice little cardboard box and put all the letters in there......
        On 5th November, have a bonfire with them.....
        If your late mother's estate has no assets left, then the Maltese High Commissioner, can go whistle for the money.
        They are just hoping you will give in to their demands.
        At least it's not constant phone calls........
        It really is that simple.
        In fact I wouldn't even bother writing any more letters.
        The debt is no more............
        Just get on with your life, and good luck.:tinysmile_twink_t2:
        “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X