• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Statued Barred

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statued Barred

Hi Folks,

Been here before with questions and got some good advice.

I have a "Statued Barred" Debt from 2009 and since then I have had three Companies passing it on to each other trying to demand payment. Each time I have written informing them that it is "Statued Barred" and demanded that they erase and destroy any reference to it.

I have had another trying it on, any views or advice as to finally stopping it?
    Tags: None

Re: Statued Barred

It may be statute barred but they can still try to enforce. Sorry.

Comment

What do you mean "...from 2009"?

A debt becomes SB if you have not paid towards it or formally acknowledged it within the past 6 years (5 in Scotland). That means that you mustn't have done either of those things in the 6 years before the demand was sent or a claim filed.

Limitation provides an absolute defence to any legal action to recover a SB debt, but as ostell says, it doesn't disappear. It only means that they can't enforce it through the courts. In terms of response, the legal phrase is "Stick it where the sun don't shine".
      Last edited by Kafka; 2nd July 2014, 09:48:AM.

Comment

Yes unless you live in Scotland of course, there the debt is "extinguished" after five years so they cannot(should not) even ask for repayment.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X