• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hello I hope I can find some peace on here...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello I hope I can find some peace on here...

Hello, glad I found this forum, I have been living with the stress and anxiety of debt etc for over 10 years now. I really need to get sorted and lift this overwhelming burden off my shoulders. I have burried my head for far too long and now the chickens are coming home to roost.

Please bear with me I have a form of dyslexia apparently which explains my awful spelling and gramma and inability to grasp certain information when read (I kind of understand it, but cant put the information into action as it were), despite seemly to be intelligent!!!!!!
    Tags: None

Re: Hello I hope I can find some peace on here...

Welcome to the forum Pat.

I'm quite new myself, but have already discovered what a friendly and welcoming bunch of people can be found on here - I'm sure you'll find the peace you are looking for, and between us all I'm sure we can help to lift that weight from you.
    I am a Paralegal Consultant.

This means I am not a Solicitor/Barrister/Advocate. I work in Legal Services, however I cannot offer services which are defined as "Reserved Legal Activities" under the Legal Services Act 2007.

Anything posted here should be taken as opinion or general information, not legal advice. It is not possible for me to offer legal advice based on the limited details which can be posted on an open forum. Where possible, I will offer guidance and relevant information, but neither myself nor my practice can be held liable for events resulting from actions taken based on information or opinion shared here.

Comment

Hi

We need to identify the kind of debts, and then we can recommend the best way to deal with them.

The important ones are those which effect your ability to live. So your rent/ mortgage gas electric, food etc so these need to be given priority. Once these are safe we can start looking at things like council tax and way at the bottom unsecured debts like credit card etc.

It feels like a long journey sometimes but there is light at the end of the tunnel and there are plenty on here that have either made the trip themselves or can show the way.

Perhaps a rough idea of what specifically is involved to start with.

Comment

Well firstly and mainly it is the credit card debt, it is huge and more than my yearly income. A long boring story of being bullied almost into getting it, and then no specified amount (silly me thought it would be for £1000 at the most) and then using it to buy food and luxuries such as a washing machine, tumble drier and sofa. then the ex and his grand schemes, me and my young immature head.....
        I have a feeling it is almost statuate barred, but I need to investigate further into an old bank account.

The others are little debts, two to Orange for around £400 and possibly one to Next. Swift cover tried to screw me for a cancellation fee, but they will get nothing from me and I have heard nothing for 2 years since writing to them telling them they were out of order with my cancellation details to back!

Oh almost forgot the bloody Tax Credits one for £1700, because (get this) I didn't make a claim, although even in their own words I would have been entitled to it.........They Kept paying me after April, by which time I got a job, then left (long story of bullying etc), didn't make a new claim due to the new job, but after leaving would have been in same situation anyway.. they are not chasing currently as last year we were so hard up, my partners parents gave us £100 a week to buy food. Boy do I wish I had known about DRO's back then...

Comment

Originally posted by Pat78 View Post
          Well firstly and mainly it is the credit card debt, it is huge and more than my yearly income. A long boring story of being bullied almost into getting it, and then no specified amount (silly me thought it would be for £1000 at the most) and then using it to buy food and luxuries such as a washing machine, tumble drier and sofa. then the ex and his grand schemes, me and my young immature head.....
          Is this the same credit card you have received a claim for? http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...171#post431171
          I have a feeling it is almost statuate barred, but I need to investigate further into an old bank account.
          If you haven't got the paperwork, you may be able to request it from them as per your other thread. :thumb:

The others are little debts, two to Orange for around £400 and possibly one to Next. Swift cover tried to screw me for a cancellation fee, but they will get nothing from me and I have heard nothing for 2 years since writing to them telling them they were out of order with my cancellation details to back!
          If you haven't heard from them, it's best to let them snooze away.

Oh almost forgot the bloody Tax Credits one for £1700, because (get this) I didn't make a claim, although even in their own words I would have been entitled to it.........They Kept paying me after April, by which time I got a job, then left (long story of bullying etc), didn't make a new claim due to the new job, but after leaving would have been in same situation anyway.. they are not chasing currently
          Again, if they are not chasing, just let them snooze away. I've also been chased for an alleged tax credits overpayment which I'm still disputing, it's been going on for nearly 2 years and I've not heard a peep since January. :tape: :tape2:

as last year we were so hard up, my partners parents gave us £100 a week to buy food. Boy do I wish I had known about DRO's back then...
          DROs are a form of insolvency not dissimilar to bankruptcy, only cheaper to obtain and with much more restrictive criteria. As with all forms of insolvency, they should be seen as a last resort. If you are able to defend the credit card claim, your other debts don't seem substantial enough to consider such an option.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X