• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hi all - Redundancy issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all - Redundancy issues

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
    I am a solicitor in Family law and have worked in my current firm just over 11 years.Since the decline in legal aid, work has declined and unsurprisingly they are now making someone redundant. It is a small firm and only two of us do private law which has been worse hit. I am part time and my colleague is full time and it is between us in terms of the pool.
    I have been given until 17 April to confirm if taking voluntary redundancy and if not,we both have to reapply for the one job which will be ftime. The notice period is 3 mths but only 1 if taking vol with 2 mths wages in lieu.

I'm seriously considering the voluntary as I can't afford to work ft really with childcare costs and will see my kids too little as only young still. I don't think I would get the job on reapplication anyway as there is very little between my colleague and I in terms of experience, sick leave etc so they will in my view choose using costs and cases, which even on a pro rata basis to make it fair, will be less because I am ptime.
    Are they being unfair by just stating the job will be ftime knowing that I'm unlikely to be able to do it? Thank you for any advice - phoned ACAS and not helpful!
    Tags: None

Re: Hi all - Redundancy issues

You sound like you have made up your mind already and think that although your firm are making it as fair as possible it makes more sense for your colleague to stay on full time and take over your work. Has your colleague been given the same option ?

I don't think they are being unfair to you by stating the job will be full time, they need one full time employee rather than a full timer and a part timer, and they have given you the opportunity to apply and increase your hours if successful.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by catlady71 View Post
      Are they being unfair by just stating the job will be ftime knowing that I'm unlikely to be able to do it?
      I'm sorry to hear about your predicament but I would have to agree with Amethyst I'm afraid. Although it might seem to put you at a disadvantage, had the new job been a part time position your colleague may have felt the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
        I'm sorry to hear about your predicament but I would have to agree with Amethyst I'm afraid. Although it might seem to put you at a disadvantage, had the new job been a part time position your colleague may have felt the same way.
        I've just had a talking to from a good friend who has persuaded me that I should reapply for the job and I'm just giving up without a fight! I think she's right as I was feeling quite defeatist about it but may well give it a go!
        I think its also that there was no offer to retrain and that someone more recent who joined who they did retrain has not been considered in the pool!
        Going to sleep on it and talk to my OH then decide.
        Thanks guys!

Comment

That's the spirit. Be positive.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X