• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Restons Solicitors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restons Solicitors

Hi Everyone
    I am new to the site and looking for some help please!
    I have just received a letter from Restons Solicitors saying that they are attempting to contact the above person (me) and if it is me, to call them regarding a personal matter.
    After googling Restons I understand that they are known for buying welcome finance debts and I previously had a debt with them which was taken out in around 2002.
    Long story, but basically my ex long term partner took out loads of loans and was using my name as his own credit was ruined and he took one out for a car with welcome. I know it sounds stupid that I signed the loan agreement, but as I said long story which I won't go into here.
    We split up around 2007 and he owed lots of money to loads of people including income tax and VAT so he declared himself bankrupt.
    A few years ago - around 2008 and since then, I have been receiving numerous letters from various debt collection agencies, and council tax demands which I was getting really scared with and was considering declaring myself bankrupt as I couldn't sleep or eat.
    Eventually, I just started to ignore the collection agencies, but set up payment arrangements with the council after they got Rossendales involved and I luckily managed to get them to agree to taking the debt back from them so I could pay the council small amounts monthly.
    HOWEVER (stupidly now I realise) - around the same time, I called the collection agency who was contacting me on behalf of welcome and told them I would be declaring myself bankrupt in an attempt to stop them contacting me as I was becoming really ill with the neverending correspondence from everyone.
    I have moved house since then and I had been receiving letters again from another agency regarding the welcome debt who I presume have now referred the matter to Restons.
    What should I do??
    I have since read threads about the statute period where debts can be written off - since this debt is so old and I never contacted them about it after my ex stopped making payments (around 2004/5 I think but can't be sure) have I messed things up by calling them and basically acknowledging the debt?? (I have never contacted them in writing)
    Any advice you can give me would be such a help.
    Thanks very much. (sorry if I waffled on!)
    Tags: None

Re: Restons Solicitors

I think you will be OK to use Limitation Act 1980 in this case. Ringing them and saying 'Enough! I'll go bankrupt if you keep hassling me', is not an acknowledgement.

A debt founded on simple contract, expires after 6 years. There are some arguments circulating about Limitation starting from when the account is formally defaulted, but I doubt this would make much difference in your circumstances.

Either a/Ignore them- they are probably just 'fishing'.
    b/ Write back stating the debt is time barred under LA 1980 and any further contact shall be regarded as harassment, for which you may make a claim under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...rts-v-BoS-2013
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X