• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hello everyone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everyone

Hi just joined the site after trying to find some info on robinson way after they sent me a letter asking for nearly 4k on a debt that i have no knowledge of from natwest. Have put up a copy so if anyone can help thanks
    Attached Files
    Tags: None

Re: Hello everyone

Hi and welcome!

Are you positive you never had a loan, credit card or current account with an O/D facility with Natwest? If that's the case, then you should send the 'Prove-it' letter below. Otherwise, if you had an account with them, there may be a more appropriate letter to send.

Dear Sirs

Ref: xyz

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself. I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to Natwest. I am familiar with the CPUTR 2008 and the Office of Fair Trading's Guidance on debt collection, which states that it is unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question. I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable and in not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question and await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed.

Yours faithfully,

Comment

Hi thanks for the reply i did have a bank account with natwest but that was about 12 years ago seems odd that that it has reared it head again and there was nothing owed to the account just closed as far as i can remember.aw:

Comment

Hello again sent Robinson way a prove it letter and had reply back saying that it has been put on temporary delay pending receipt of documentation. Whilst that is good i have nothing to do with Nat west for over 12 years surely this would be statue barred !!

Comment

Originally posted by koda View Post
          Hello again sent Robinson way a prove it letter and had reply back saying that it has been put on temporary delay pending receipt of documentation. Whilst that is good i have nothing to do with Nat west for over 12 years surely this would be statue barred !!
          If no payments have been made and there's been no written acknowledgment (such as a repayment offer), then it would definitely be SBd. They can still ask you to pay, however, once you send a letter informing them that the debt is SBd, they should stop chasing you for it. :thumb:

Dear Sirs

Re: Statute Barred Account - xyz

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself. I would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 "an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued".

I would also point out that the OFT say under their Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that "it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period". The last acknowledgement to this debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from me in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, I suggest that you are no longer able to take any action against me to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that "continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statue barred could amount to harassment". I await your written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above account and confirmation that this matter is now closed.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully,

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X