• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

verbal agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• verbal agreement

how do I get out of a verbal agreement , I accepted a lease on a pub but changed my mind before signing , the lanlord wants compensation for some work he carried out on the premises that I requested , can I refuse to pay?
    Tags: None

Re: verbal agreement

If the verbal agreement was clear, then it is a binding contract and you can be held to it or required to compensate for breaking it. His problem is proving it.

Comment

In law there is no real difference between a verbal contract and a written one, in that both require, offer, acceptance, consideration, capacity to enter into legal relations and intention to enter into legal relations.

If it can be shown that you breached the contract, in that you did not sign the lease, then he may pursue you for damages. You may argue mitigation, in that he should have ensured due diligence before spending any of his money, also you may say that any improvements made would not be a loss as he was improving the sale-ability of his asset. It depends on the details of the case.

As usual the best remedy for a situation like this is to try and work at a mutually acceptable compromise, perhaps through a third independent party, rather than going to law, I personally think that some offer of recompense would be due, based on the slim details provided.

Comment

It is my understanding that a "verbal" agreement may not be binding on property/land/tenancy issues but GT is (of course!) right that if your "gentleman's agreement" has caused the other party expense that he would not otherwise have incurred you need to reimburse him and it is in both your interests to keep it out of court.

Comment

think your on a loser its expensive to change your mind if other party spent money because of what you agreed he or she is entitled to claim that money back best sort amicabally and if it is sold at greater amount due to the alterations maybe he wil give you some back he needs prove the verbal agreement but if there are witnesses id avoid court

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X