• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hi, new to the Forum, looking for advice on how to proceed with an employer.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, new to the Forum, looking for advice on how to proceed with an employer.

Hi

I'll try and keep this brief. I am a manager in a very busy office, and this has been the year from hell. Short staffed continuously, working long hours regularly. There is a bit of a cash flow problem which is why we're short staffed. I don't mind putting in extra hours when required and feel it's my duty as a manager but this has gone on too long now and lately I have felt like I was losing the plot. I had an infection earlier this year which dragged on for 8 weeks as there was no way I could take time off to let myself recover. On top of everything else, I've got another member of staff on long term sick leave and in the summer 2 members of staff started an affair which has caused no end of trouble. I've had to cancel one holiday after another this year and only just managed to get a couple of weeks off in November.

In line with company procedure I've reported various incidents up the line, including compliance issues and the disruption caused by the two having the affair and yet no one seems interested in doing anything. On the other hand the staff seem to be actively encouraged to put one complaint in after another about me. One told me she felt encouraged to start a grievance against me. Also these "grievances" always seem to be put to me just before I take any leave, seemingly to ruin any time I do get off. It's not even that any of these grievances get resolved before I take time off, so they could just as easily have been left until I returned to work, instead of making me worry.

I went to the Drs at the beginning of November and said how ill I was feeling, that I was suffering from palpitations, shortness of breath and getting progressively more irritable every day and Dr offered to sign me of sick with stress for 4 weeks but I refused as I said the office would be in even more mess when I got back. Then at the beginning of December I was called to a meeting where a catalogue of complaints were raised of which I had no idea even existed. I started to hyperventilate and had to be taken home. I went to see the Dr again and said I needed the 4 weeks of with stress now as I had had enough and he has signed me off with "stress from work".

In retrospect I can see my behavior was getting progressively more irritable but everyone in the office was showing the same signs of snappyness to each other due to the constant pressure. I feel this is a situation that was allowed to develop and I had given my senior managers more than enough warning about the pressure and disruption caused by certain members of staff. I'm now on sick leave, and don't really know what to do next. My company wants me to come to a meeting which I presume will be disciplinary but I feel I have been forced in to a completely unfair position.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Hi, new to the Forum, looking for advice on how to proceed with an employer.

It is a common scenario.

Senior staff screw up. You tell them its all going to pieces but they ignore you. You work like a lunatic to keep the show on the road. You crack up. They blame you and railroad you out the door. They replace you with another patsy (probably one of the ambitious little twerps who was complaining about you). Cycle repeats until firm goes bust. Senior staff blame everyone except themselves.

Start getting your paperwork in order, placing particular emphasis on the bits where you warn those above you about the problems.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X