• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

old council tax and bailiffs behaviour

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old council tax and bailiffs behaviour

Hello to every one
    I have this thing going on for a while tried different things not getting any where.
    i used to live at different address 17 years ago and now suddenly received a demand from council that haven't paid for 1996/1997 council tax.
    first of all i thought they made a mistake as the address box showed my current address but latter got a letter from newlyns.
    Then i called council and they said i need to talk to newlyns. i called them and told them that i am disputing this with council and going to write to them so hold it till i get any answer.
    then i sent an sar request to council and started waiting. for some reason i was living in east London for couple of days and someone came at the door my son was at home he looked through key hole but didn't open.
    When i came back i started to find out and called newlyns and found out that they were still chasing nothing on hold.point to note they did not leave any letter through the door.
    cut the story short council not ready to talk just saying pay to the agents and newlyns wanting 1030 in one go, when asked for breakdown 776 +3 visits
    they did not leave any letters at all.
    i wrote to council as i was declared bankrupt after that so it is part of that, at the same time to get newlyns off my back made arrangement of 175 per month.
    after number of e mails and letters council replied i am out of this due to BRpcy but my wife who is house wife doesn't work have to pay the balance of 330 as i made 3/4 payments by then.
    How do i go about this with council and with newlyns with regards to charges dispute.
    I can say this on oath no letters were left by them.
    SAR sent by council consists of a print out stating the CT amount and some baillif letters sent to old address recently.
    Tags: None

Re: old council tax and bailiffs behaviour

Have they provided proof of the Liability Order? Regardless of anything they may say the Council are responsible for this and must provide proof of this - otherwise I could tell you owe me £100 from 12 years ago. You say you were made BR and have now been absolved of any responsibility for payment, this is correct & as your wife was not part of the order she becomes solely liable for the debt outstanding.

As far as the Bailiffs are concerned there is no law that says you have to deal with or speak to a Bailiff. It is imperative you deny him access to your home or deny him a levy on goods outside - most notably a motor vehicle. You may pay the Council via online banking, Council website or automated phone but must ensure you budget for lawful Bailiff fees.

Have you had a breakdown of their fees. If not get sent off as soon as, use Letter 1 from http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...Useful-Letters it will also pay you to have a read of http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...67-Council-Tax

Comment

Thanks,relieved with lot of good info.Council told me they do not provide copy of LO. although i will get back to them with letter in the link.
      Can the bailiffs charge for levy or attendance for goods removal without gaining access to the property because that's exactly what they are asking for when i inquired by e mail for charges.

Comment

They can charge two visit fees, Visit 1 = £24.50; Visit 2 = £18.00. So as long as they don't gain entry or levy on anything, the most they can charge is £42.50.

Remember, you do not have to deal with the bailiffs at all. You can (and I would) 100% ignore them, and pay the council directly. You MUST ensure that anything like a vehicle is either locked securely in a garage, or parked a few streets away though to prevent a levy. Stupid as itmay sound, it's also worth mentioning at this time of year, if you have external Christmas decorations, they could be levied, as some of these are expensive nowadays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X