• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Working Tax Credits - Over Payment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working Tax Credits - Over Payment

Posted this as a new thread but then got a message to say it should be in this forum so can anyone help as all?

Hiya, I was wondering if someone could help...?

I was on job seekers allowance and went into full time work earning £13000 gross, I rang and applied for working tax credits. I was told over the phone that I'd be entitled to about £50pcw. The lady typed something into her computer and came up with that answer.

They sent me the forms, I filled them in, I entered about £3000 as my earnings for last year due to me being on JSA and then I put £13000 in this years income (I started in about June/July 2011) - I sent it off and they paid me £53pcw based on that.

I then came to renew so put £13000 in last years income and £14000 in this years as I had a wage rise on 1st May 2012.

They have written back to say they based the £53pcw on me earning £3000 year, which is a little silly as that's JSA and not earnings and "had they known my income was £13000 they wouldn't have paid me" - so I am now in debt as they have overpaid me.

I have asked for an appeals leaflet - I am not very happy. This hasn't come yet but I have only 31 days to appeal, is my appeal already on-going as I have asked for a leaflet or is the 31 day clock ticking down as my leaflet works it's way through the system?

The girl I spoke to in the call centre didn't seem to understand those on JSA can't apply for working tax credits...very frustrating!

Any help would be gratefully received.
    Tags: None

Re: Working Tax Credits - Over Payment

Has the call been listened to do you know? I would be tempted to ask for this to happen, also have you checked the dates you registered your change of circumstances?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/th.../appealing.htm

hope that can help you a bit hun.

Comment

Re: Working Tax Credits - Over Payment

I returned my form as soon as I got it which was well before the date needed. I've been watching all these adverts on the tv and I was quite pleased I'd sent my form in.

I have no idea who the person was that I spoke to, I would assume that they have it on my file though but I haven't asked as I am waiting for my appeals leaflet to come through.

The problem we've got, and I'm sure people here will agree, you aren't allowed to actually speak to anyone...it's all done via automated computers, I'm 27 and I dread to think how older people cope. When you are dealing with people there is never a black/white situation, its always got a massive grey area but the HMRC, the little darlings, don't appear to have caught on to this yet.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll certainly be sure to make that part of my appeal.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X