• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Landlord problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord problem

Hello, I'm having a problem with my landlord.

I get payed every two weeks, as i get ESA and council benefit. But between the two benefits, i struggle as have other bills to pay every month including getting food. My rent is £545 pcm. My benefits always fall short of when the rent is due. when I'm late with the rent my landlord is on the phone constantly, sometimes calling up to 20 times (one after the other) until i pick up. If i do not answer the phone, he is banging on my door.., or even trying to enter the property, (without giving me 48 hours notice) He has also breached his own terms of the contract. I have explained my problem's to him but he just wants his money and is not understandable. There are a few problems in the property which i have told him about, but these have not been fixed/sorted out for over 6 months now.

I do not know what to do,I don't know if i am in my right's to hold any money until these problems are fixed.
    I had to sign a renewal contract, so i could be here for another year, but he has put the rent up.

I am in a catch 22 situation as i can't afford to pay my rent but also i can't afford to move either.

please could someone give me some sort of advice.

Thank-You

Tags: None

Re: Landlord problem

Originally posted by mitch377 View Post
    Have you tried contacting the Border Agency to check his immigration status? :tinysmile_aha_t:

As regards the problems with the property, the local council may still have an office that deals with private landlords.

Do you receive Housing Benefit and, if not, why not?

Comment

I think the council department that deals with this is under the umberella of regulatory services.
      Ours has a landlord liason officer
      Are there any terms in your contract about how to notify the Landlord if there are problems
      Put things in writing & keep copies

Comment

Originally posted by mitch377 View Post
        Hello, I'm having a problem with my landlord.

I get payed every two weeks, as i get ESA and council benefit. But between the two benefits, i struggle as have other bills to pay every month including getting food. My rent is £545 pcm. My benefits always fall short of when the rent is due. when I'm late with the rent my landlord is on the phone constantly, sometimes calling up to 20 times (one after the other) until i pick up. If i do not answer the phone, he is banging on my door.., or even trying to enter the property, (without giving me 48 hours notice) He has also breached his own terms of the contract. I have explained my problem's to him but he just wants his money and is not understandable. There are a few problems in the property which i have told him about, but these have not been fixed/sorted out for over 6 months now.

I do not know what to do,I don't know if i am in my right's to hold any money until these problems are fixed.
        I had to sign a renewal contract, so i could be here for another year, but he has put the rent up.

I am in a catch 22 situation as i can't afford to pay my rent but also i can't afford to move either.

Thank-You

Just to update you all that today he turned up and i told him that he was coming in until he writes and let me have 48hrs notice. He tried to push his way in but i got the door closed in time. 45mins later he wrote saying that he is coming over on friday at 12 to 2.30 pm. If i'm not there he will let himself in. I'm in court all day and can't be about for that time due to going to court. Can he just come in if i'm not about??

Comment

Legally, he has to have lawful reason to enter your flat whilst you are not there. If not, technically, he is trespassing. I would ask him for what reason is he coming over. If it is not a lawful reason, I would ask someone you trust to be there just in case he tries to gain entry. As well as speaking to your local authority, I would also speak to your local police as your landlord's behaviour sounds as if it is in breach of the Protection from Eviction Act 1977 (Harassment of Tenant). Also, I have to echo Clever Clog's question as to why you have not applied for Housing and Council Tax Benefit. Are you on ESA because of a long-term illness or disability? If so, speak to the Equality & Human Rights Commission (EHRC) as your landlord may be in breach of the Equality Act 2010. Their website is at EHRC - Home .
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X