• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hello all

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all

Hi everyone,
    I've been reading through the forum over the past few days and thought I would register.

I'm just wondering if anyone can clarify whether a credit card company is legally obliged to issue monthly statements if there is money owed on an account?

Thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Re: Hello all

It is usually a monthly statement that they send and I would imagine if it were different with your lender then it would state so in the T&Cs.
    This may sound daft but if you are not receiving them you should check if they have put you down for paperless billing in that way you will not get a statement through the post you will check your account on line.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response enaid.
      Although I do most of my banking online I have never asked for nor been informed that my cc account had become paperless. I'll have to check but it does beg the question why wasn't I notified of the change.
      Thanks again.

Comment

No idea where the original update and reply from labman went but I'll repost my part if labman would be so kind as to repost the reply.

Thanks again enaid.
        Checked the account and it is not paperless so I'm still wondering if a credit card company is legally obliged to supply monthly statements when money is owed on an account. If so is there a legislative clause I could quote should I have the need.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comment

Hi and welcome ABM. A few posts were lost recently during a partial upgrade taking place. Just my opinion, but I would say that I believe there is no legal obligation on a credit card company to supply monthly statements, as such. However, if they are wanting repayment of the money they have lent you under the original agreement, then they must obviously comply with that agreement themselves before they can lawfully pursue you for the money. Therefore, as Enaid suggests, it's worth checking the T&C's for this.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Bill and sorry for the delay in updating. Checked the T&Cs and it's monthly.

Thanks for your advice.

ABM

Comment

Hi,

I can't find the exact extract again, but I do remember what it said.

Credit card companies do have to provide you with a paper monthly statement, unless you have agreed to paperless billing.

There are a couple of exceptions to this though:

1. Where there is a nil balance on the account.

2. Where the credit card holder is in default. The company does not then need to issue monthly statements.

Comment

Thanks again labman

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X