• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Acting as agents... What does that mean?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acting as agents... What does that mean?

Hi

I have a letter from HL Legal Solicitors that begins... we act for Capquest Recovery Ltd who are agents for Shop Direct Financial Services.

I was under the impression that Capquest owned the debt but does this mean they don't.

If they are acting as agents, should they be able to obtain a CCA from Shop Direct if they don't have one themselves?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Acting as agents... What does that mean?

No it means that HL legal are acting on behalf of capquest as per capquests intructions.

So ignore it.

Have you sent Capquest a Consumer credit agreement request? If not then you need to do so right away.

As you will find that will shut them up due to the fact they probably do not have one, since its Shop direct, if they do not have one (which they won't) then they themselves have defaulted on the account and can no longer enforce the debt.
    Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Originally posted by foxyred View Post
      Hi

I have a letter from HL Legal Solicitors that begins... we act for Capquest Recovery Ltd who are agents for Shop Direct Financial Services.

I was under the impression that Capquest owned the debt but does this mean they don't.

If they are acting as agents, should they be able to obtain a CCA from Shop Direct if they don't have one themselves?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
      Just a little advice .....as far as I can find out HL Legal & Collections do not have a data controllers licence ..........I would ring the ICOn up tomorrow and check that they have ....if they have not then they are in bit of trouble contacting you because they are processing dat about you with out a licence........the ICO are hot on solicitors without a Licence.
      Check them out.

Sparkie

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkie1723 View Post
        Just a little advice .....as far as I can find out HL Legal & Collections do not have a data controllers licence ..........I would ring the ICOn up tomorrow and check that they have ....if they have not then they are in bit of trouble contacting you because they are processing dat about you with out a licence........the ICO are hot on solicitors without a Licence.
        Check them out.

Sparkie
        Have they actually got a Credit license license Sparkie? Haven't bothered to check myself yet, but well spotted about the them not having a registered data controller!

Ok i just checked and according to companies house this is their legal details below - I checked the details on the credit license register and came up blank too, though given they were incorporated only in august 2011 there is a chance they have applied but not yet been granted a license of the register not updated to show it.

Company Details

Name & Registered Office:
        HL LEGAL LIMITED
        GROSVENOR HOUSE
        PROSPECT HILL
        REDDITCH
        WORCESTERSHIRE
        B97 4DL
        Company No. 07745189

Date of Incorporation: 18/08/2011

Country of Origin: United Kingdom
        Company Type: Private Limited Company
        Nature of Business (SIC):
        None Supplied
        Accounting Reference Date: 31/03
        Last Accounts Made Up To: (NO ACCOUNTS FILED)
        Next Accounts Due: 31/12/2012
        Last Return Made Up To:
        Next Return Due: 15/09/2012
        Last edited by teaboy2; 1st April 2012, 22:35:PM.
        Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Comment

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
          Have they actually got a Credit license license Sparkie? Haven't bothered to check myself yet, but well spotted about the them not having a registered data controller!

Hi teaboy,
          They don't appear to have aCCA licence either......at least.....
          Not under HL Legal and Collections
          Post Code B97 4D4

Sparkie

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkie1723 View Post
            Hi teaboy,
            They don't appear to have aCCA licence either......at least.....
            Not under HL Legal and Collections
            Post Code B97 4D4

Sparkie
            Yeah i came up blank too but got their full legal name though - see amended above post.

Whats even more interesting is their "About Us" page:

"HL Legal & Collections started life in 1990 as a department within a general law practice. From a team of 4 people and a computer doing small amounts of debt recovery It rapidly gained a reputation for providing cost effective debt recovery solutions to Finance Companies.

In 1998 HL expanded its services to include telephone collections and today with over 40 staff and sophisticated computer technology the firm provides a full range of pre legal and litigation services to credit grantors, debt purchasers and businesses.

HL continues to expand its range of services through innovation and investment in systems technology."

Now i knew HL legal have been around for a long time, but for them to only become incorporated in august 2011 (which makes them a legal entity in their own right) then, one must wonder who the original company was and if they are named on their credit license. Its all a bit murky, i must admit. So deffo worth some investigation.

Comment

Hi teaboy

If they had applied for a CCA licence it would show up as a new application on the register and the date it was applied for .it would show as "Open" until a licence was issued. ........Gone about it in the right way they can be struck off the Law Society public Register ...action taken against the principal partner charged by the ICO under section 55 of the DPA ......and never be able to hold a CCA licence.

PS
              After thought anyone who has been harrassed and suffered at their hands could sue them

Sparkie
              Last edited by Sparkie1723; 1st April 2012, 22:53:PM.

Comment

Thank you for your response, I tried to do some digging.

Is this them?

Data Protection Register - Entry Details

Registration Number: Z7047873

Date Registered: 19 August 2002 Registration Expires: 18 August 2012

Data Controller: HL LEGAL SOLICITORS

Address:
                GROSVENOR HOUSE
                PROSPECT HILL
                REDDITCH
                WORCS
                B97 4DL

Comment

Thats true sparkie, though i have known it before to not show anything due to it not being updated recently. Had one company showing as not being on their but after contacting the OFT they confirmed the company did have a license, just the register had not been updated recently. Stupid i know as you would expect them to update it regurlarly.

I think a quick email to HL legal asking for disclosure on their license number and data controller registration details is called for. Once i have a reply i shall post up a copy here minus personal data of HL employees.
                  ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------

Is this them?

Address:
                  GROSVENOR HOUSE
                  PROSPECT HILL
                  REDDITCH
                  WORCS
                  B97 4DL
                  Well thats invalid then as the company's legal name is HL legal Limited not solicitors!

Though still no credit license under the name HL LEGAL SOLICITORS either.

Just searched the post code and this is all the register came up with:

Search Results

0345023 Central Networks Contracting Limited Lapsed on 17/11/2007 B97 4DL
                  0372497 Midlands Electricity Manx Limited Historic CV4 8LG
                  Last edited by teaboy2; 1st April 2012, 22:57:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Just finished writing CCA request to Capquest, will post RD tomorrow.

Looking forward to finding out more about HL Legal.

Thank you, must get some sleep now.

Goodnight.

Comment

Just finished writing CCA request to Capquest, will post RD tomorrow.

Looking forward to finding out more about HL Legal.

Thank you, must get some sleep now.

Goodnight.
                      Let us know what response you get (it will likely be copy of an application form Lol) - If you have not heard anything in 14 days time let us know on here and we will tell you what to send them next. Good night.

Comment

Is this them?

Address:
                        GROSVENOR HOUSE
                        PROSPECT HILL
                        REDDITCH
                        WORCS
                        B97 4DL
                        Yes that them ...but they should have notified the ICO of the Change to a limited company.......failure to notify changes to the register within 28 days of any change ..........is a criminal offences....
                        And they still do not hold a CCA licence under their limited company either

Sparkie

Comment

Hi

I got that information from the ICO website, does that mean that they would have notified them of the change? Hopefully not.

I thought I'd have a look for another solictors that are acting for Very. Hamptons Legal don't seem to appear on the ICO database. Can you find them anywhere else?

Comment

Hi

I got that information from the ICO website, does that mean that they would have notified them of the change? Hopefully not.

I thought I'd have a look for another solictors that are acting for Very. Hamptons Legal don't seem to appear on the ICO database. Can you find them anywhere else?

They should have notified the ICO by the 18/ 9/ 2011......They haven't

Sparkie

Please do not take any of the information given by anyone trying to assist you on this forum as legal advice and absolute fact it is all given for you to ask questions to find out the facts for yourself
                            Last edited by Sparkie1723; 1st April 2012, 23:30:PM.

Comment

Agreed with Sparkie, they have failed to notify the ICO of change to registered company name, therefore making their registration with the ICO invalid, not to mention their failure to notify the ICO of change being a criminal offense.

I have sent them a formal enquiry (in legal terms) asking for clarification as to their licensing situation, and trust me i was more than clear to them of their failures lol.

Will post their response up once i have one, but something tells me my email is going to set off alarm bells Hehehehe. God i loving being a legal beagle lol

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X