• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

New Kid on the Block

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Kid on the Block

We may be doing the OP a grest disservice, the misspelling could be due to poor keyboard dexterity

A lot of bailiffs have problems with their fingers, it comes from the years of dragging their knuckles along the ground.

Peter

Comment

Welcome back, and I honestly appreciate your understanding of my humour. We have, as I said yesterday, several bailiffs already active on the site, so you will find us welcoming as long as you have an appropriate attitude.

I cannot refer to yours as a profession I'm afraid as a profession, according to the Oxford English Dictionary requires a prolonged period of training leading to a formal qualification. For that reason I can, but rarely do, put BA(Hons), MSc, MBA, PGCE after my name among other less significant ones. I will refer to it as a job.

You came here hopefully to help us understand 'the other side' to your job. I think we understand that someone needs to enforce debts - nobody here would preach debt avoidance. What we find difficult to understand is the sheer numbers in your job who act unlawfully.

May I ask you a question please. One of my, and probably fellow members' difficulties, is to know whether these mistakes are deliberate, accidental, down to an inability to do simple mathematical calculations, down to a misunderstanding of the admitedly complex laws governing your job or what.

What is your view on this?
      Are you of the opinion that corruption is a very significant problem within your industry?
      Do you think your colleagues have sufficient intelligence to do the mathematics involved in the job, or the capacity to enforce the legislation correctly?
      What percentage of your colleagues would you say are corrupt?

An answer to all the above would be great.

The final question, if you read a post on here where the bailiffs' fees are incorrect, how will you respond? Say it was a simple Council Tax case where charges have been applied and the bailiff is making threats of removing goods after making the first visit to the married woman who owes the debt, living in Cardiff. The bailiff has charged £42.50 for two visits where the couple were not at home. The debt is £650.00. The poster claims nothing has been posted through her door, but the bailiff has phoned and said if she doesn't pay by the end of the week he'll come and break in and remove her belongings. She is not unduly scared, but does not like the threatening attitude. Her husband has spoken to the bailiff and he has said the bill needs paying in full by the end of the week or else he'll break in.

How would you answer a post along those lines? Is what was done correct? If not, what was correct, what was not correct and what exactly should have been done? What's your advice on this post?

This is not intended to put you on the spot. It is the sort of post we get regularly on here, and I'm interested to know what your response would be if you intend playing an active part in the site.

I look forward to your reply, and hopefully to posting alongside a reputable bailiff in times to come.

A full answer to the above would, I am sure, help you gain credibility to counter our unsurprising scepticism.
      Last edited by labman; 25th March 2012, 15:15:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Vere Brayne d'Emmidge View Post
        I just thought that by joining this forum some misconception about a variety of issues can be better publicized....mainly about bayliffs, since I am one....once you've stopped throwing stones at me
        Bayliff? what is that?

Comment

Imho, fwiw,

The tipstaff & the parish beadle have been around for a great many years,and, unfortunately, probably with some justification.
          It would be fairly pointless to have a legal process without some method of enforcement.
          But the picture that allegedly emerges (& there is now considerable documented evidence) is that the legal authority to enforce is frequently misused, abused & misrepresented, causing immense distress to people who do not know the correct procedures.
          In many cases, the ulterior motive for this ultra vires action seems to be, not the payment of a debt, but simply to enrich the bailiff.
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
            Imho, fwiw,

The tipstaff & the parish beadle have been around for a great many years,and, unfortunately, probably with some justification.
            It would be fairly pointless to have a legal process without some method of enforcement.
            But the picture that allegedly emerges (& there is now considerable documented evidence) is that the legal authority to enforce is frequently misused, abused & misrepresented, causing immense distress to people who do not know the correct procedures.
            In many cases, the ulterior motive for this ultra vires action seems to be, not the payment of a debt, but simply to enrich the bailiff.
            Was the parish beadle a Legal Beadle? :beagle:

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
              Was the parish beadle a Legal Beadle? :beagle:
              More like a Bumble beadle, lol

http://www.shmoop.com/oliver-twist/mr-bumble.html
              "Mr. Bumble likes power, and he likes to use it. Frankly, he’s kind of a sadist....."
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

".....but he’s not without a few redeeming qualities."

(My damn conscience wouldn't allow me to misquote!)
                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

SIRE VERE
                  Do you wear a black suit black shirt and black tie and act as if you are a mafia hood talking in a threatening tone telling lies if you fiit this description then YOU are a bailiff in 2006 were u the one running away from me in gloucester when i told you where to go and then switched your phone off if not do you know this acting hard man or rearend orifice?

Comment

[quote=labman;255200May I ask you a question please. One of my, and probably fellow members' difficulties, is to know whether these mistakes are deliberate, accidental, down to an inability to do simple mathematical calculations, down to a misunderstanding of the admitedly complex laws governing your job or what.
                    [/quote]

I would suggest it's because they are paid commission. If Bailiff Companies paid their workforce a reasonable salary things would improve dramatically imo. But sadly that isn't going to happen, so we'll continue to see Bailiffs doing their utmost to pile on the fee's and just hope that people don't know their rights.

On the plus side, people who are genuine and want to pay what they legally owe, but for whatever reason just can't pay in full within 24 hours notice of a Bailiff saying they must, are increasingly turning to sites like LB for help.

A lot of people just can't cope and do bury their heads in the sand, that isn't to say they should be labeled as 'Non payers' Just people who are going through hard times and don't know which way to turn until they do some research for help in a non judgmental way and find sites like LB (The best imho) and can see light at the end of the tunnel.

In summary, people who want to help each other far outweigh Bailiffs and together we will clear our debts but on our terms and at a level that is sustainable and realistic to us, not them.

Comment

I'm only astounded that one never hears about a bailiff being shot or stabbed. :tinysmile_aha_t:

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                        I'm only astounded that one never hears about a bailiff being shot or stabbed. :tinysmile_aha_t:
                        They hush it up, that is why they always advertise under: - Short Lived Job.

Comment

Our friend seems to have left us.

Comment

shame

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
                              shame
                              Do you really think that's why he's not been back?

Comment

I'm pretty sure he'll be back to taunt us............................................. He is a bailiff after all
                                If Knowledge is Power . . . . . . .Then I Could Easily Light an L.E.D

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X