• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Googled Restons and am now scared silly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Googled Restons and am now scared silly

:beagle:You know how you get that niggly feeling feeling at the back of your neck? I've had it since 'the nice man' from Restons Solicitors called me and asked very politely for information to help structure a repayment agreement.
    I got peeved when he started asking for proof of my medical condition, I mean - what does that have to do with it?
    When the letter came giving me just 5 days to get it all together I started to feel a bit panicky so I called and asked for longer. I got another week. Today I started filling in the form but I could not escape THAT feeling.
    So I looked them up and saw the tactics they use. They seem to go straight for a charge on your home if you are unable to reach a repayment figure (which I clearly cannot in the current climate). They also seem to be a fan of ridiculous charges and interest - on a debt covered by the Credit Consumer Act???

Please does anyone have some guidance as to what I should do and what information (medical side really) they are entitled to have.

izzy
    Tags: None

Re: Googled Restons and am now scared silly

Give full information about this alledged debt, but do not give personal details on here, what is the alledged debt for, your circumstances now, also STOP talking to them on the phone in writing only, do not answer security questions when they ring, have you PPI payments made, late fees etc, so called charging orders are a long way down the line if ever, after proceedures, these are scaring tactics by DCA!s who has no power at this stage!.

Look at dealing with debt thread above.

Comment

If the medical condition is actually going to help your position, then tell them. If it is not going to make any difference to the position, they have no right to know.

If it will help, then it is not a condition you would choose to have. There is nothing embarrassing about having an illness - if others find it hard to deal with, that's their problem, not yours.

You are right to be cautious if you have your own property. They go to court, get a forthwith judgment, then go for the charging order. They are also about as unhelpful as you can get to deal with professionally.

Comment

:beagle:
        The debt is from a store card (John Lewis) which I had a previous agreement to pay £1 a month negotiated via CAB as part of debt help they provided after I was sacked from my job last June due to ill health.

Due to lack of funds the payment defaulted and John Lewis passed the debt to Restons (or they bought it) despite my calling John Lewis to try and reinstate a new payment plan.

When they called I said immediately I could not deal with them over the phone due to the strong medication I have to take (painkillers that really dull my mind and memory). I asked for them to send what they wanted in writing more for my benefit than for record keeping although it serves both purposes.

I will look at the other thread(s) now I have had a chance to look around.

Thanks.

Comment

Have you considered contacting Andy Street - andy_street@johnlewis.co.uk - who is the CEO of the John Lewis Group?

Comment

If you are struggling to find £1.00 to service this debt, you really need to be taking a look at a much bigger picture of your overall financial situation.

A store card is hardly a priority if you are struggling that much. You would benefit from going to a good free debt charity who will help look at options available to make the longer term situation more stable, rather than having to struggle each day,

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X