• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Travel Lodge refunds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel Lodge refunds

TraveLodge Hotels Ltd allowed me to pay for a room via their website using Maestro debit card and due to
    complaint have offered one night refund (commuinication between us via email) however say they can not refund to my card
    as system wont allow it but then ask me to email them with card no and expiry number of a card they will be able to refunf to
    otherwise will raise a cheque for me and to wait / allow up to 2 weeks for this. They said there email is secure - i aint happy
    11:33 [MJJ1974]: as they willingly took payment via Maestro and now refuse to refund as their system wont allow it and i said
    was not happy they asked for other card details via email and they said email is secure i was not happy but they then said i
    could have asked them to phone me to give details over the phone? I am wanting to see the legality of this ie take a payment
    via Maestro on their website but can not refund to it - do i call trading standards too?
    Tags: None

Re: Travel Lodge refunds

For debit cards there is a scheme known as 'Chargeback' which deals with refunds.

I believe you must claim within 120 days.

Have a talk with your bank.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
      For debit cards there is a scheme known as 'Chargeback' which deals with refunds.

I believe you must claim within 120 days.

Have a talk with your bank.
      Not sure if you get chargeback with Maestro. As far as I'm aware it has to be a visa debit card.

Comment

Originally posted by shell View Post
        Not sure if you get chargeback with Maestro. As far as I'm aware it has to be a visa debit card.
        When talking of protection, Visa cards give a better protection than Maestro. The Visa cards come with a charge back a right that gives a better protection to the costumers who use it. If a service or goods that one buys through Visa fails, the customers can claim for better service or goods. Moreover, there are no limits for any claims.

Maestro cards have been designed as a replacement for cheques. As such these cards do not come with charge back rights, which means that the customers have no protection if a service or goods fail.

l

Comment

This is a common scam some firms pull in order to deter refunds. I paid a garage £264 cash for a part for a car I had and they could not obtain the part. When I asked for the cash, they said, "Oh. We'll send you a cheque." When I pointed out refunds must be by the method of payment, they tried, "It's company policy. It'll take two weeks for the cheque to come through." When I explained the finer points of Section 2(1)(b), Theft Act 1978 (Inducing A Creditor to Wait for Payment), they suddenly found £264 cash. I had the same with PC World, only with a lesser amount. They did the same when I challenged them. These large companies know it's wrong to pull this stunt and they also know it's illegal to pull it. Stand your ground, quote the legislation I've quoted and insist on your Maestro card being credited at your nearest Travelodge within, say, 24-48 hours. Whatever you do, stand your ground. They'll cave in once they realise you aren't going to do what they want you to do.
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by MJJ1974 View Post
            TraveLodge Hotels Ltd allowed me to pay for a room via their website using Maestro debit card and due to
            complaint have offered one night refund (commuinication between us via email) however say they can not refund to my card
            as system wont allow it but then ask me to email them with card no and expiry number of a card they will be able to refunf to
            otherwise will raise a cheque for me and to wait / allow up to 2 weeks for this. They said there email is secure - i aint happy
            11:33 [MJJ1974]: as they willingly took payment via Maestro and now refuse to refund as their system wont allow it and i said
            was not happy they asked for other card details via email and they said email is secure i was not happy but they then said i
            could have asked them to phone me to give details over the phone? I am wanting to see the legality of this ie take a payment
            via Maestro on their website but can not refund to it - do i call trading standards too?

HI
            Just shown this to my daughter who is a receptionist at a medium sized hotel in Manchester.
            She says that she issues refunds on these cards all the time, wonder if it may be worth asing for details as to exctly why their "system" does not allow this then checking with the supplier.
            Peter

Comment

Thank you all for your input and advice particularly Border Collie as i have contacted them and quoted relevant legislation and gave them proposal as suggested in your reply!

Will let you know what happens (eventually)!

Comment

This was the last/latest email from Travelodge Hotels Ltd - received earlier today!!!

I can confirm that our bank, HSBC, have advised us we can not process manual refunds back to these cards. If a booking is cancelled and an automated refund is generated then it will go through, however manual refunds cannot be processed.

I can also confrim that any internal and external emails through Travelodge are secure. The e-mail system we use requires a personal log in and password.

Again, it is beyond my control that I cannot process a refund to this switch card, as this has been put in place by HSBC.

However, I can confirm I have spoken to the bank and have requested a manual refund to be processed back onto this card. Although it appears to have been approved, I will confirm if this has been authorised successfully.

NOTES the paragraph about security of emails internal and external - all email providers i use both personally and professionally require me to log in and use a password = same for everyone so not proving its security ie screened by or protected by encryption devices or software or microtrends etc

NOTE also how it is all HSBC's fault???? (what a crock of excrement!???)*

Thanks again to Border Collie a little bit of legislative quote goes a long way!

*maybe i am wrong and it is practice of HSBC but who knows??:beagle::tongue2:

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                  This is a common scam some firms pull in order to deter refunds.
                  Another was to issue a cheque to be drawn on the account of a different company with an embarrassing name.

I seem to recall reading that this trick had been pulled by a mail order supplier of poor quality "hi-fi" equipment, as part of their "full refund if not delighted" offer. The refund cheque was promptly sent on receipt of the dud equipment but was often not paid into an account as the name of the refund company was The Really Little Willy Enlargement Company.

Comment

This was the last email i recieved from them on 03/04/12 - i have checked my bank (statements) and it has cleared and been credited - a whole month after the event!

Dear Mr Jackson,
                    Thank you for your patience regarding this matter.
                    I have contacted our bank and have had confirmation the refund went through successfully.
                    I have an Acquirer Reference Number (ARN) for you, to confirm this refund.

This is a unique reference number applicable to the transaction of monies from Travelodge to the card or bank we have refunded. In this case, we have refunded the card ending 8633 with the value of £28.70; the ARN is 5550 4432 0792 7629 3589 935.

I hope this helps.

Thank you again for contacting us.
                    Kind regards

Stacey Sims
                    Travelodge Customer Services

Once again sincere thanks to all who helped - i am a lot more wiser and clued up when it comes to refunds and hotels at least...for now...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X