• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hello all. Advice, utility debt.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all. Advice, utility debt.

Hi to everyone, new to the site so bear with me if I do some thing wrong.
    I wanted to ask a question about a utility bill. I will briefly explain and if
    anyone can help I would appriciate it. When my ex and I split up I took over the electric account.
    When the joint account was closed there was a large credit because of an incorrct meter reading and that was paid out to my ex. When I closed my account a month later the account was adjusted which left the joint account in arrears. The utility company is now demanding this from me (and only me!) I have argued that since the credit was paid to my ex they should be demanding it from him yet because I am the numty that provided my forwarding address they are now sending me final demands and threats.
    Tags: None

Re: Hello all. Advice, utility debt.

Originally posted by mommymans View Post
    Hi to everyone, new to the site so bear with me if I do some thing wrong.
    I wanted to ask a question about a utility bill. I will briefly explain and if
    anyone can help I would appriciate it. When my ex and I split up I took over the electric account.
    When the joint account was closed there was a large credit because of an incorrct meter reading and that was paid out to my ex. When I closed my account a month later the account was adjusted which left the joint account in arrears. The utility company is now demanding this from me (and only me!) I have argued that since the credit was paid to my ex they should be demanding it from him yet because I am the numty that provided my forwarding address they are now sending me final demands and threats.
    Why did they pay anything to your former sperm donor? :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Comment

Thank you for your response. The account was in both our names but was paid by DD from his account. When I asked for the credit to be split btw us they said they will only pay it to the person who has been paying so they sent a cheque to my ex. Now they say we are both responsible for the amount due as we are both named on the account. It does however irritate me to no end that because my ex did not give his forwarding details and they couldn't possibly look for him they are only harassing me for the money. Since we are not on very good terms I am certainly not going to talk to my ex about this.
      I just want to find out where do I stand legally? I know where I stand LOGICALLY but if they take this to court I don't know what a judge would say and I don't want my credit history affected.

Comment

We had a joint SE account which was paid by direct debt from his account. We split up and the account was then in my name only. When he took his name off the account he gave them an incorrect meter reading which left the account in about £500 credit. I asked for the credit to be split but SE said they will only send a cheque to the one who paid the bill so therefore my ex.

A month later I moved out and closed my account only to find out I had a massive bill. SE looked at the average usage and adjusted both accounts accordingly which left the previous joint account in arrears by about £100. I explained they had previously paid out a credit to my ex of £500 so they sound recover the arrears from him. Now nearly 2 years later I am getting lawyers letters to recover the money.

I am currently in a very nasty residency / custody battle with this ex and cannot speak to him about this. I also do not think it is my responsibility to do SE's debt collections. In the beginning I did give them his contact details they just never used used it. Now with my ex using every nasty trick in the book in the custody battle I am not willing to give his details again as he may use this against me. (He will find a way...)

Comment

Ask the power company why you should suffer because your formerly beloved scumbag gave them a false reading, defrauding the power company of at least £100.

Comment

If you know where your ex lives, give them his address.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
              If you know where your ex lives, give them his address.
              And don't tell him.

Let it be a nice surprise.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X