• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

council tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• council tax

Hallo to everyone in legalbeagles.iam currently waiting to be released from my trust deed and to be made bankrupt.i have a question about council tax payments.im claiming jobseekers allowance and have threats of sheriff officers coming to my current address which is not my property.my property is being reposesed.whats the minimum amount i have to pay to council tax from my allowance?also do i pay council tax to the council or debt collection services they both say pay us and dont pay the other.any advice on this would be much appreciated.thanks marley77 scotland
    Tags: None

Re: council tax

Hi Marley, and welcome to you. You seem to have a few problems to deal with, and I'm sure you will get some experienced help soon. Meanwhile - can you clarify your situation for us ? Are you actually going straight from being the subject of a Trust Deed to becoming bankrupt ? I ask this, because I was the subject of a Trust Deed a few years ago, and it ran its course. I was then discharged from any further liability to the enlisted creditors - but I now have a bad credit history. I was never bankrupt (in the strict sense of the term) - and I have always considered a Trust Deed (or any IVA) as an alternative to bankruptcy. I would not like you to believe that you are a bankrupt when you are in fact a discharged Trust Deed Subject - and a free man (albeit with a duff credit record) !!!

We've got some great guys here who can help you with the Sheriff Officers, but meanwhile I would suggest that you find whatever documents you have from your council which confirm that you should be paying the CT to THEM - and NOT to the S.O.'s. Get photocopies/scanner copies of the originals, and keep the originals somewhere safe. Produce the COPIES to the SO's if they call. My understanding is that the SO's are instructed by the Council to collect on their behalf. If that instruction has not been issued - or has since been rescinded - then this needs to be made VERY clear to all parties concerned, I believe. It will be important to note the dates of any such documents, I think, as the latest-issued will be the most important. I believe that a SO or bailiff acting without authority of any creditor is in a VERY precarious position.

But do please wait until we get more opinion from the 'big guys' here.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X