• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Barragebof solicitor's letters to a business not at our address - scam?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barragebof solicitor's letters to a business not at our address - scam?

Hello beagles, hope some-one can help us.

We have now had numerous letters addressed to a business name which is nothing to do with us, but sent to our address. Have been RTS'g them with 'Addressee not known at this address' written all over the (unopened) envelope each time.

Now getting really annoyed I decided to open the one received yesterday and read that a solicitor is asking us for £80 on behalf of the DVLA in respect of a car for some reason??

Not only is the letter addressed to a company name which is unknown to us, but we have never driven or owned a car.

Advice appreciated, we think some-one is trying a scam here??
    Tags: None

Re: Barragebof solicitor's letters to a business not at our address - scam?

Originally posted by b52 View Post

We have now had numerous letters addressed to a business name which is nothing to do with us, but sent to our address. Have been RTS'g them with 'Addressee not known at this address' written all over the (unopened) envelope each time.

Now getting really annoyed I decided to open the one received yesterday and read that a solicitor is asking us for £80 on behalf of the DVLA in respect of a car for some reason??

Not only is the letter addressed to a company name which is unknown to us, but we have never driven or owned a car.

keep sending em back or file in the metallic round filing cabinet
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
      keep sending em back or file in the metallic round filing cabinet
      Thanks for fast response! I did initially file the first couple in the round metallic filing cabinet as they were obviously addressed incorrectly but they keep coming and now we are worried by them.

I did a bit of searching for the business name the letters were addressed to and it seems they are (or were) a vehicle recovery company just around the corner from our house!

However they don't speak English and the area is not a good one so we think they have just picked a local address (ours) as a front for some kind of a scam or fraud?

Comment

Thanks for fast response! I did initially file the first couple in the round metallic filing cabinet as they were obviously addressed incorrectly but they keep coming and now we are worried by them.

I did a bit of searching for the business name the letters were addressed to and it seems they are (or were) a vehicle recovery company just around the corner from our house!

However they don't speak English and the area is not a good one so we think they have just picked a local address (ours) as a front for some kind of a scam or fraud?
        If you ignore the letters what are they gonna do about it?

Comment

Thanks, I don't suppose they can do anything!

However I think I'll keep the letters just in case there is any further comeback of any sort. Could bailiffs for example end up paying a visit to our house eventually, however wrongly?

It's very worrying.

Comment

Thanks, I don't suppose they can do anything!

However I think I'll keep the letters just in case there is any further comeback of any sort. Could bailiffs for example end up paying a visit to our house eventually, however wrongly?

It's very worrying.
            They'd have to prove you were the debtor

Comment

OK, thank you for this. We'll just ignore all further letters although I will as I said keep them for future reference.

Comment

With respect, I do not think you should keep the letters as I suspect you are then committing a crime. I would post them back Unknown at this address.

Comment

Thanks for the input - not being sure whether it would be a criminal act to retain the letter and others that arrive, I will continue to return them as not known at our address.

BUT I will retain a copy - that has to be my right, surely? In the strictest sense, I shouldn't have opened this particular letter - but we wanted to try and find out exactly what's going on, especially as a business is using our address fraudulently.

Not sure what our rights are exactly, but we must have some!

Comment

Now that you have opened one of these letters - and done so with the most honourable of intentions, you have some idea what this is about.

Personally, I would return the opened letter with an explanation, pointing out that it is a thorough waste of this firm's resources, as you have never owned a car, and that there is either an error or a scam. Either way, it has to stop.

Insist on an acknowledgement of this letter, and send it Recorded (or whatever the current term is for this). Point out that any further contact without good reason will be deemed as harrassment, and may result in action being taken against THEM.

Just my suggestion, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill-K View Post
                      Now that you have opened one of these letters - and done so with the most honourable of intentions, you have some idea what this is about.

Personally, I would return the opened letter with an explanation, pointing out that it is a thorough waste of this firm's resources, as you have never owned a car, and that there is either an error or a scam. Either way, it has to stop.

Insist on an acknowledgement of this letter, and send it Recorded (or whatever the current term is for this). Point out that any further contact without good reason will be deemed as harrassment, and may result in action being taken against THEM.

Just my suggestion, though.
                      This sounds like a very good idea, only thing I (maybe wrongly) worry about is that once they have our names the letters will keep coming - this time addressed directly to us?!?

I seem to have a vague memory of hearing or reading of this happening to some-one - could be wrong though.

Also, it's already evident that the person/s opening returned mail do not notice the emphatic 'Adressee not known at this address' that I've written large on the letters already sent back... so we're not dealing with an intuitive genius here.

Last but not least, our post office is a good 15 minutes away and I have a medical condition which makes it difficult to walk more than a couple of hundred yards without resting in between. Other half works long hours and isn't able to get to Post office anyway.

Perhaps I could do it with this letter and hope that it's sorted out finally.

Comment

Just sign it as 'The residents of 14 Smith Street.'

This might cause more problems than it's worth though as they may then think you're trying to hide something. Better to sign as yourselves and suggest they check the ER.

Comment

...once they have our names the letters will keep coming - this time addressed directly to us?!?
                          Yes, that's a point. Perhaps you should simply address your own letter from "The occupiers," and sign it as such - in a different and illegible way to your usual signature.

Comment

I would just send all the letters and return to sender and state on the envelopes NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS. Do not put your name or any other information on this.

Comment

Thanks to all of you for really helpful suggestions. Think I will try sending this most recent letter back with a letter signed illegibly as suggested by you BillK - seems the safest option.

Brainwaves or a sudden inspiration as to other possible actions welcomed, can't do anything about posting the letter until Monday anyway.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X