• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Verification Letter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verification Letter

Hi
    My father received a letter today from Buchanan Clark & Wells who are working for Aktiv Kapital UK Limited. The letter is headed "Verification Letter" saying they are trying to contact a person of my father's name "with regards to a private matter." It then says they has been instructed to contact the recipient by Aktiv and asks that he contacts them to discuss further.

My mum opened the letter and phoned them up as she had no idea what it was about but they refused to speak to her as it's not concerning her. She spoke to me and handed me the letter and I said I will deal with it (they are both retired).

I have had dealings with Aktiv myself in the past saying I owed money which I didn't and after researching them I responded in writing and that was the end of it.
    However at the moment this initial letter just asks for dad to get in touch and does not detail why - so I cannot really send the usual template. In addition my dad suffers from a long term, debilitating disease and has done for almost 17 years which requires 24 hour total care. He cannot understand, communicate or care for himself at all so he cannot ring them or write to them.

I would really appreciate some advice as to the best way to respond to this letter.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by kulehuntrezz; 11th August 2011, 15:56:PM. Reason: Add to post.
    Tags: None

Re: Verification Letter

It sounds to me more like a phishing exercise.

See what others say, but I think I would ignore it.

Comment

File it under IGNORE.

One DCA acting on behalf of another DCA has ZERO legal powers and anything they do say about court action and bailiffs is simple scare tactics.

All in all utter bovine Excrement and designed to frighten and get you to contact them by phone.
      Once you do that you WILL be brow beaten into making any sort of payment to stop the fictitious action taking place.

Comment

Originally posted by kulehuntrezz View Post
        I would really appreciate some advice as to the best way to respond to this letter.
        Refer the idiots to the celebrated retort in the matter of Arkell v Pressdram.

Comment

Ignore it.

Comment

10 to 1 your father will get another letter within 30 days of that one, containing private personal details (account details etc.) saying he is owe some debt, dispite of them not knowing if they have the correct person or not.
            If he does get this (like I said 10 to 1 he will) and you know he is not owe the debt or you don't know what the debt is for, then reply to BC&W with a SAR and see what they put back to that.

Comment

The odds that the alleged debt will have been long since statute barred - and hence utterly unenforceable - will probably be somewhere in the order of £1 to a pinch of dried up dingo dung.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X