• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hi all x

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all x

Hi myname is vickie and once again i am being hounded by jacobs regarding council tax, after being seriously ill (cancer) i fell into a bit of a depression and couldn't bring myself to sort out finaces therebybreaking my agreement with jacobs... i am not sure if they have the right to come into my home i do know they took a list of my goods over a year ago bfore i set up the payment arrangement... i have written to them explainig my circumstances and have informed them that i will resume payments this coming monday, however the baliff rang me about an hour ago and told me that unless i pay 500 pounds by this wednesday he is bringing the van to remove my goods and i will have to go to court to try to get them back!!! am very confused can they do this?? i have spoken to a money advice officer from the rotherham council wo has advised me that it is highly unlikey that the baliff will do this but i am still very worried as he explained that the baliffs would not be concerned that i had been ill etc they just want their money, i don't have a saving's, no spare cash and mygoods would not cover the debt.... any advice most welcome please xx vickie xx
    Tags: None

Re: Hi all x

Hi Vickie

The best person to answer this is Amy who's very good with Council Tax/Debt Collection issues.

She's not here at the moment but I'll ask her to respond when she is, probably later on this evening.

Comment

many thanks will check back in later xxx

Comment

Hello Vickie,

This is very important; when you were given the walking possession from the bailiff (the list of your goods he was seizing) did you allow him entry to your property or did he gain entry in order to list the goods?

Specifically, what goods did he levy?

Basically, we need to know whether the bailiff has been in to your house already because if he has not, then the walking possession he is hoping to enforce on Wednesday is invalid and, therefore, he can threaten all he likes.

Quite apart from anything else, your illness means you would be included under the category of 'vulnerable' as per the National Standards for Enforcement Agents. Those who might potentially be vulnerable include:

the elderly;
        people with a disability;
        the seriously ill;
        the recently bereaved;
        single parent families;
        pregnant women;
        unemployed people; and,
        those who have obvious difficulty in understanding, speaking or reading English

How much council tax do you owe and how much do Jacobs say you owe?

Comment

am trying to find out how much i owe not quite sure... to be honest i am fine looking after other peoples affairs but rubbish with my own i have been burying my head in the sand but have decided to take control.... will get back to you asap many many thanks vickie and i did let a baliff in to my house about a year ago and he listed goods i signed a document but this was a different baliff ( i know this sounds silly but the first baliff was really kind and actually gave us advice about setting up payment plans etc but this balif who i am dealing with now is horrible and not at all understanding) since i have set up the payment plan i haven't let anyone into my home xxx

Comment

Do you know how many liability orders you have outstanding? Is there more than one?

When you let the bailiff in last year was it to collect on a different liability order from the one a year ago or is the bailiff who contacted you yesterday collecting for that liability order?

Comment

gosh think i losing my mind now - have spent over five hours today trying to find information but no look cannot get any info from jacobs and council offices closed - the only thing i know for definate is that i have two letters which are removal notices from jacobs one is for 459.55 and one is for 1143.50 - i already paid off one account last year (i know this sounds a lot but i used to rent out a property and since they can't find the tenant i am responsible) which i believe that was when they did the list of my property.... thanks for the info on vulnerable people have now read the national standards and feel slightly better - am going to send a letter to jacobs and council recorded delivery first thing monday informing them of this and that i am both ill and unemployed.... the letters from the baillif in charge both give me 48 hours to pay but then he rang me saying he was giving me till this wednesday to pay the smaller of the accounts and to set upa 10 per week plan for the larger one - i explained that i couldn't do this and also said that my goods wouldn't cover the amounts - he replied that he didn't know that (wondering then if he doesn't have a list of my property?) and would be here with a van on wednesday and then i would have to go to court? am soo confused and worried xxx

Comment

sorry i might be being a bit thick here but it is a different baliff this time although he works for jacobs still i have not let this particular balif in my home and he doesn't have a list of my goods - does it make a difference ????

Comment

It might be as well to send a Subject Access Request to Jacobs and you can find a link to that letter in the bailiff guide Bailiff Guide - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

If the goods you own will not cover the outstanding debt when sold, then the bailiff must return the account to the council. This is called Nulla Bona and literally means you have no effects.

Did you have three liability orders against you?

Comment

nope i believe it is two now as i paid one account in full two years ago

Comment

Hi - just wanted to update- the council have not been helpful at all, however took your advice and put in the request to jacobs- still nothing but they had said they were coming to my home on wednesday to remove my good and it is now friday and they haven't been - i am thinking that they don't have the power to remove my goods then?? anyway feel i can relax a little bit. I have continued to pay the monthly arrangement and am hoping that this is now the end to the threats..............we shall see
                      thanks you amy for you help and advice - especially about the vulnerable people it really helped and i will recommend this site to other s too xxxxx

Comment

You're very welcome, come back and update us when you get a reply to your letter or if anything else happens xx

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X