• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Need advice please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice please

Hi all,

I ordered a kitchen from a company that was delivered about 6 weeks ago. Since about 5 weeks ago we have been constantly phoning them to tell them it is the wrong colour and not of the standard expected, and asking them what they were going to do about it to resolve the issues.

We were getting nowhere, so 2 weeks ago sent then a letter via registered post asking them to collect the kitchen and refund the deposit - no response. So last week we sent another registered letter and we said that we wanted it resolved by Monday, yesterday.

This company are not responding to any of our letters, we are phoning them on a daily basis only to be told we will be phoned back or the person dealing with it is in hospital/on holiday.

We have now been stuck without a kitchen for a while and units all over the house and also had to send the builder away.

We are unable to make any contact with anyone in their company that will deal with this, and until we do, we are stuck without a kitchen and the house in a mess.

Our next step is small claims, but it still means not having a kitchen and storing theirs until it's resolved which could be another few weeks.

Any help on the matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Tags: None

Re: Need advice please

Do you have any agreement or anything that you could post up? The other thing that springs to mind is visit your local Trading Standards and see what they have to say.

Comment

Hi, sorry to hear of the trouble you are having. Yes, Trading Standards is the way to go but (I think) the consumer can't contact them direct? Am I wrong? You should contact Consumer Direct who will advise you and then refer you to TS. Is ther also a regulator for that trade?

Contact Consumer Direct by email from their website, perhaps cut and paste your above post?
      Last edited by The Debt Star; 9th November 2010, 12:49:PM.

Comment

As always Debt Star - spot on!

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/e...lias=/contact/

Comment

How did you pay for the kitchen?

Comment

Originally posted by Amy View Post
            How did you pay for the kitchen?
            I hope I'm learning. I'd normally post good question, but you'd post back, "I know, that's why I posted it!" lol

I can see where you're going though. Good thinking!

Comment

We have only paid a deposit, and that was by cheque.
              Thanks for all the replies, I will have a look at the Trading Standards link

Comment

What were the terms of your agreement with this company? Is there anything in writing at all?
                Is no longer here

Comment

Ten bucks and my left nut says they'll be chasing you soon enough for the balance! Thank goodness you didn't pay the full amount.

I would imagine that the remedy here would be for the company to come back and rectify the mistake...? Meaning if they do that you will still be obligated to pay the balance. Which I'm sure is your intention and hopefully TS - or the threat of a complaint to TS - will have the desired effect.

Comment

Important thing is I THINK I'm learning! I managed to point this one to TS as well, so must be learning something despite all the cock-ups.

OP - you can't go straight to Trading Standards - the link explains all!

Comment

We do have something in writing, but all it says is that it will deal with a complaint within 7 days.... I wish!
                      The problem is that we would not be happy if they agreed to change the colour of the units as they are also not of the standard that we were expecting.
                      When we sent the last letter, we stated that unless they responded by yesterday we would be left with no choice but to install them and not pay them a penny more. Having looked into it a bit more though, if we did this we think they would more likely have a case to get the remainder of their money of us.

Comment

Yes because they should remedy the breach and install units to both the spec and colour you ordered.

Comment

Originally posted by Samsonite View Post
                          We do have something in writing, but all it says is that it will deal with a complaint within 7 days.... I wish!
                          The problem is that we would not be happy if they agreed to change the colour of the units as they are also not of the standard that we were expecting.
                          When we sent the last letter, we stated that unless they responded by yesterday we would be left with no choice but to install them and not pay them a penny more. Having looked into it a bit more though, if we did this we think they would more likely have a case to get the remainder of their money of us.
                          I would agree with you there. You have two very positive things though - Trading Standards and most importantly you have the goods but have not paid in full.

When you say you have something in writing re 7 days complaint, is this an agreement / contract?

Comment

What i meant was, do you have anything in writing regarding the original sale? i.e you agreed to pay xxx amount deposit, followed by the balance when?? Also the original invoice/sale agreement/whatever should have their terms of sale stated, and is there anything in this regarding what to do if you are unhappy, returns policy, cancellations etc.

Personally I think that if you install them that would not be a good idea. There was a thread on here ages ago about a very similar situation, unfortunately I can't remember the name of the OP, but will see if I can find it.
                            Is no longer here

Comment

I found it, but am not going to post the link as it turned out not to be exactly the same thing as yours, also there was no conclusion to it so it wouldn't really help you.
                              Is no longer here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X