• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Personal Guarantee or Not - Credit Application Form for a Limited Company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Guarantee or Not - Credit Application Form for a Limited Company

First of all Hello Everyone. I have just joined the forum. I a looking for some thoughts on an issue I have.

I signed a ‘Credit Account Application Form’ for supply of building materials to a company who I was a Director of. The company went into voluntary liquidation at the end of July and the supplier is saying they intend issuing a Sheriff Court Summons to me if I do not pay an outstanding debt f approx £7500.

They say I signed a personal guarantee form. I asked to see this and they sent me a copy of the ‘Credit Account Application Form’. It was a single page form which I faxed t them and I clearly understood I was entering into an agreement on behalf of the company. There is no mention of a personal guarantee.

The part I signed is Titled ‘Customer Declaration’. I assume Customer is the company and not myself personally. The exact text of this section is:

I/We the undersigned apply to ********* Ltd for Credit Facilities and declare that the information given above is accurate. I/We agree to trade on ***** Ltds terms and conditions of sale as are applicable at the time of the transaction and confirm that I/WE have read the sale terms contained in this form. I/We the undersigned being directors of the applicant co , jointly and severally guarantee payment of all financial obligations to ******* Ltd, including any arising from any increase in the credit limit granted in future. ******** Ltd reserves the right to terminate this agreement for credit forthwith without notice upon a breach by the customer of any Terms and Conditions and all monies then outstanding will become due forthwith.

This form must be signed by the Sole Trader, All Partners and if a Limited Company a duly Authorised Director.

Name…………………..Sign……………………..Position………………Date………

There was no ‘sales Terms’ contained in the form.

The letters issued by their solicitors are being sent to my old company address but to my personal name. I only got them as I popped in to collect some things. It is a multi tenant office and the reception knows my name and put them aside for me. So they are not sending these letters to my home address as they do not know it.

My question is how valid is their claim. I understood that any personal guarantee could not be included in a Credit Application and would need to be a separate form or at least a separate signature clearly stating it was a personal guarantee.

I am worried sick about this, I was not a shareholder in the company but merely a director/employee. So I have lost my Job and a large amount of salary. I am trying to get back on my feet and this is causing me even more stress.

I am based in Scotland and so was the supplier. The company base I worked for was in Scotland although the head office was Manchester.

The final letter from them stated that if I did not pay by 1st September then Court Proceedings would be issued.

Any help or advice would be most welcome.

Re: Personal Guarantee or Not - Credit Application Form for a Limited Company

Unless you signed a 'specific' guarantor form then as a limited company they will have to join the other creditors. Also if you do pay them anything you'll be breaking the law by treating them as a preferential creditor.

The only other way you could be held liable would be if it was proven you where trading whilst insolvent when you placed the order

Comment

Thanks Righty. I will pas teh details to the liquidators and I am sure they will tell them the same.

Comment

I have now recieved another letter from the Solicitors on this. It appears to be an Initial Writ. Stating I must respond in 21 days. Either :

1. Adnmit and complete Time to Pay form
        2. Admit and Pay
        3. Indicate I wish to defend and appoint solicitor and pay £80 fee.

I cannot see any way of avoiding costs for myself on this so I guess I will need to contact a solicitor. Any advice would be welcome.

Comment

Taken from:

http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/pdfs/guidanceleafletspdf/howtowindupyourown.pdf

Other important details on voluntary liquidation
          What happens when a company goes into voluntary liquidation?
          The liquidator takes control of the company's affairs and almost all powers of the directors
          cease. The liquidator disposes of all the company's assets and, after paying the costs and
          expenses of the liquidation, distributes any remaining money to the creditors.
          In a members' voluntary liquidation, the liquidator must hold a meeting of the company each
          year and provide details of his or her actions and dealings, and of the conduct of the winding
          up in the preceding year.
          In a creditors' voluntary liquidation, the liquidator has to hold annual creditors' meetings for
          the same purpose. He also has a duty to make a report to the Secretary of State, under the
          Company Directors Disqualification Act 1986, regarding the conduct of the company's
          directors.
          As soon as the affairs of the company are fully wound up, the liquidator will hold final
          meetings of the company and its creditors.
          What are a company director's duties in a voluntary liquidation?
          In voluntary liquidation proceedings, the company's directors must:
          provide information about the company's affairs to the liquidator and attend interviews
          with the liquidator as and when reasonably required; and

look after and hand over the company's assets to the liquidator, together with all its
          books, records, bank statements, insurance policies and other papers relating to its
          assets and liabilities.

When will the voluntary liquidation end?
          Liquidation ends when the company is dissolved after the final meeting held by the
          liquidator. How long the liquidation takes will depend on the circumstances of the individual
          case (e.g. the nature of the assets involved), but once the process has been completed the
          company will be dissolved and cease to exist.

Surely in your situation the liquidator shold be dealing with this?

Comment

I have now spoken to the liquidator on this. They are a worldwide respected organisation and also agree that the claim is not against me personally. They will write to me to confirm this. I spoke with the pursuing solicitor who disagree (of course they do). Now I have to rspond and pay a court fee for what I think is a frivolous claim. Wasting my own time and money as well as public time and money. It is so frustrating. I cannot afford a solicitor so I risk defending on my own and being slaughtered by legal experts and losing. Obviously the pursuing solicitor knows this and is hoping I just give in and accept. Surely there should be a better system?

Comment

Originally posted by neveragain2010 View Post
              I have now spoken to the liquidator on this. They are a worldwide respected organisation and also agree that the claim is not against me personally. They will write to me to confirm this. I spoke with the pursuing solicitor who disagree (of course they do). Now I have to rspond and pay a court fee for what I think is a frivolous claim. Wasting my own time and money as well as public time and money. It is so frustrating. I cannot afford a solicitor so I risk defending on my own and being slaughtered by legal experts and losing. Obviously the pursuing solicitor knows this and is hoping I just give in and accept. Surely there should be a better system?

The liquidator should be defending this as any court award will mean their client is being treat as a preferential creditor which is unlawful. Invite the liquidator to join you in defending this claim that will put them off cos the liquidator will be able to claim substantial costs if they pursue this nonsense

Comment

Liquidator is being particularly unhelpful although they have said they will write to me confirming their understanding that this is a company debt and not personal.

Does anyone know a solicitor in Glasgow who could help with this?

Comment

Is the liquidator allowed to be unhelpful. It is their job to wind up the company correctly (see quotation above). If they have not done so, surely this is at least as much their problem as yours?

Comment

Thank You caspar - I agree. Unfortunately not much I can do other than seek legal advice. But having lost my job and gone without salary for several months during liquidation process this is not possible. I have recently got a new job so legal aid is also out of the question.

I chased the liquidator again who said he would look at it again and respond to me. But in teh meantime I have a response date of 26th November to confirm I am defending thsi action. Obviously I will do this but without legal support anything can happen.

Comment

The Legal Advice Centre
                      we found these people very helpful when our business hit difficulties. They offer FREE legal business advice!

Comment

Originally posted by neveragain2010 View Post
                        Liquidator is being particularly unhelpful although they have said they will write to me confirming their understanding that this is a company debt and not personal.

Does anyone know a solicitor in Glasgow who could help with this?
                        Try Govan Law Centre

Govan Law Centre

Comment

Thank you for the replies. None of these places can help me. Mainly due to teh fact I am working again or that they do not cover civil issues. They are inundated with housing/personal type cases so they have to prioritise - fair enough.

I spoke with a solicitor today who is asking for £500 up front and suggesting fees may rise to £1,500. he agrees that it looks like a clear case and I should not be liable. He also mentioned that it may be wise to consider settling if things get messy which I am 100% against in principle. This attitude worries me a bit as I assume fees will still need to be paid if settling.

Do these fees seem reasonable? I do not really have the money but I am up against the wall on this and need to act quickly.

The liquidator has also now changed his mind. When I pushed him to say he should be supporting me he then said that he thinks it 'is' a personal debt and not a company one!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X