• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

MBNA Interest Hike

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MBNA Interest Hike

Hi
    Totally new to forums so sorry if i don't use all the "hip" words!

I'll try to be brief -
    Took out MBNA card in 1991. Two years ago I balance transferred some money to it and was told over the phone it would be interest free for 12 months and then go to19% - at the end of the year it did - and then it increased to 32%. I struggled on like an idiot trying to pay the additional charges for well over a year but eventually about 6 months ago I had to stop paying it after two or three phone calls asking if they would reduce the interest rate which they wouldn't and arguing I hadn't agreed to 32% interest. I asked for the WAV file recording of my conversation which they have never been able to produce.

I started to get phone calls saying i hadn't paid and on one I said I couldn't afford to pay them becuase they were asking for too much and i was only paying the other credit card companies as MBNA had put me in the position where I coouldn't afford to repay them, at this point i was told I was in breach of my credit agreement and coudn't treat one differently from another. I rang the Consumer Credit Council who insisted this was true and I must put mysef into a debt management plan. I did this but now I am beginning to wonder if I made a big mistake and should have fought my corner with MBNA.

I had a phone call from Money Claiming Experts last week which prompted me to your site to have a look at them, so I won't be persuing that but I now realise lots of people on here have had problems with credit card interest hikes and debt and I thought i was the only one!

Not sure what I should do now that I am only paying them a small amount and have a debt plan, I feel like a leper after never having credit issues before!

Can I still argue that I don't feel the interest rate was legal, or that they wouldn't help me by reducing it. I have paid my £1 and asked for my contract which they sent but they sent it with a new set of terms and conditions with my present address so I know these may not be the correct ones that I signed for many years ago. I realise now I should have written with my complaint before any of this got out of hand but now not sure what to do or if I have been treated wrongly in the eyes of those who are in the know....that's you guys!

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks
    H

Re: MBNA Interest Hike

I cant begin to tell you what i think of MBNA. Suspect in your case the good news is that the agreement is unenforcable. I know the original agreement they supply can be "reconstituted" but it does have to have your address at that time.

QCK

Comment

Re: MBNA Interest Hike

Hi Hillym

Welcome to Legal Beagles.

It had gone very quiet with Money Claiming Experts over last few weeks as they have not been responding to our members. So they are still arround?

Tuttsi

Originally posted by hillym View Post
      Hi
      Totally new to forums so sorry if i don't use all the "hip" words!

I'll try to be brief -
      Took out MBNA card in 1991. Two years ago I balance transferred some money to it and was told over the phone it would be interest free for 12 months and then go to19% - at the end of the year it did - and then it increased to 32%. I struggled on like an idiot trying to pay the additional charges for well over a year but eventually about 6 months ago I had to stop paying it after two or three phone calls asking if they would reduce the interest rate which they wouldn't and arguing I hadn't agreed to 32% interest. I asked for the WAV file recording of my conversation which they have never been able to produce.

I started to get phone calls saying i hadn't paid and on one I said I couldn't afford to pay them becuase they were asking for too much and i was only paying the other credit card companies as MBNA had put me in the position where I coouldn't afford to repay them, at this point i was told I was in breach of my credit agreement and coudn't treat one differently from another. I rang the Consumer Credit Council who insisted this was true and I must put mysef into a debt management plan. I did this but now I am beginning to wonder if I made a big mistake and should have fought my corner with MBNA.

I had a phone call from Money Claiming Experts last week which prompted me to your site to have a look at them, so I won't be persuing that but I now realise lots of people on here have had problems with credit card interest hikes and debt and I thought i was the only one!

Not sure what I should do now that I am only paying them a small amount and have a debt plan, I feel like a leper after never having credit issues before!

Can I still argue that I don't feel the interest rate was legal, or that they wouldn't help me by reducing it. I have paid my £1 and asked for my contract which they sent but they sent it with a new set of terms and conditions with my present address so I know these may not be the correct ones that I signed for many years ago. I realise now I should have written with my complaint before any of this got out of hand but now not sure what to do or if I have been treated wrongly in the eyes of those who are in the know....that's you guys!

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks
      H

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X