• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

british gas debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• british gas debt

Hi

In 2007, I lived at two address. For the 1st address I contacted british gas on several occassionsabout my bill. About 6 months after I moved out I got a estimated bill( after giving them reading) of about £200 and something pounds for a period of 6 months(estimated).Together with that bill I recieved another bill of about £70 for the 2nd address and then another bill of about £200. I paid all the bills for all the address. In about 2008 my husband( which was not on the account and was not my husband during that time) got a phone call asking for me. When I called the number back it was a debt collector stating that I owe about £100 to British gas I told them I paid all my bills and will contact them directly. The same day I spoke to a British gas operative which told me that they had no record of that payment and I need to provide a reciept so they can do a missing payment entry. With all my moving I couldn't find any bills or receipts. No one have contacted me since this day and I have never called them concerning this matter. Do I have to pay that bill again?????????????????

Re: british gas debt

Hi KJ1

Are you not able to go back through your banking statements or chq stubs and locate those payments which you say you made.

If you do not have your cheque stubs or statements you may have to apply to your bank for a SAR =Subject Access Request costs £10 where you can ask your bank to supply all your statements. I read somewhere the other day that NAT West Bank you can download statements on line going back 6 years. That is of course if Natwest was your bank.

This section should should help you with a SAR should you need to do it http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...play.php?f=236

You should aso, write to British Gas disputing that you owe them this £100 and ask that they send a detailed statement showing you all payments and all invoiced amounts. So you can see exactly which of the payments that you made is missing and alow you time to check your records through as it maybe that whilst you believed that you paid everything there may have been another invoice request that you did not receive. You also have to check that the sum that they are claiming is yours and not belonging to the people who lived there after you?

I would also keep everything in writing.

I had something similar at work last week a statement from EON turned up for the period to Jan 2007 for a company that had not been in exsistence for the last 3 years and which had been disolved also 3 years ago. It seems that this amount was disputed with the new tennants of the property that that bill related to and it took them 3 years to sudenly just write and ask for the money. Of course it was too late as far as EON was concerned as the company was dead and burried, she also checked this on Companies House and found that what I told her was true and was now they are writing off the debt. Which I have to tell you I would have disputed if the company was still alive as it took them 3 years to send this bill as it was all based on estimations.

If you need any further help just shout.

Tuttsi

Originally posted by kj1 View Post
    Hi

In 2007, I lived at two address. For the 1st address I contacted british gas on several occassionsabout my bill. About 6 months after I moved out I got a estimated bill( after giving them reading) of about £200 and something pounds for a period of 6 months(estimated).Together with that bill I recieved another bill of about £70 for the 2nd address and then another bill of about £200. I paid all the bills for all the address. In about 2008 my husband( which was not on the account and was not my husband during that time) got a phone call asking for me. When I called the number back it was a debt collector stating that I owe about £100 to British gas I told them I paid all my bills and will contact them directly. The same day I spoke to a British gas operative which told me that they had no record of that payment and I need to provide a reciept so they can do a missing payment entry. With all my moving I couldn't find any bills or receipts. No one have contacted me since this day and I have never called them concerning this matter. Do I have to pay that bill again?????????????????

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X