• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

MBNA Harassments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MBNA Harassments

Hello all,

I wonder if any of you had problems with MBNA and its debt collector.

Recently I received a letter from MBNA for an existing loan that I had with them for the past 4 years. In their letter MBNA stated that my January direct debit payment could not be collected because my bank had declined the request and stated that there was no sufficcient funds. I called MBNA to clear the amount which was less than £250. But over the phone they began asking me so many personal questions I became suspicious. I said that I was just going to make a payment for an outstanding amount that they had informed me that it was not paid. They insisted that before I made the payment I should respond to all of their (so called) "security question" to identify myself. The questions that they raised were more than 9. I could understand if it was my name and address etc but the questions went beyond that. So I declined to answer any more of their questions and requested to know why they were making such demand for me to make a payment. I said "unless you colect data to sell my information to other parties you have no authority to ask me do many questions to identify me. When I first applied I only authorised you to ask me certain questions that were listed in your application form. Apart from those questions (which are 3) you are not authorised to ask further questions. I stated that I was willing to make a payment. You are forcing me to respond to rather personal questions over the phone and refusing to receive payment unless I answer all of them. How come?" MBNA staff insisted that "in order to identify you you need to respond to all the questions. This is for your benefit". I refused to accept and MBNA terminated the call.

Since then I was bombarded with phone calls day and nigh and received 72 calls to my home and mobile number from MBNA and their debt collecting agency (from India). I also received more than 30 letters. The calls were interesting, every time I responded the call they terminate the call without saying a word.

It was so disturbing I again called MBNA customer service and said that I wanted to make a payment. They refused to receive the payment unless I answered all their "security questions" to identify myself first. It was crazy. I began sending emails. 17 emails I sent. No response. Finally I wrote a letter to Watchdog and copied to MBNA. MBNA (Mrs GAIL POWELL gail1.powell@bankofamerica.com or customer-services@mbna-travel.co.uk) responded without answering my questions. Meanwhile my husband called the Customer service and said he wanted to make a payment into my account. He was not asked any questions and he was able to make a payment within few minutes.

I requested to know why this happened. MBNA said that my husband was not the account holder so he was not asked any questions. This was absurd because when I first phone MBNA I did not say "I want to make a payment to my account", I had just said (like my husband) "I want to make a payment in to an account ....which seems outstanding". I did not said it was my account.

Every time I made a complaint MBNA referred me to Financial Ombusdman. Unless Financial Ombusdman somewhat protect MBNA I do not see how on earth MBNA is so comfortable to refer a straight forward complaint to the FO. Meanwhile, I contacted my bank. They stated that there had been no such payment request from MBNA and no such refusal from the bank.

I am absolutely disgusted with MBNA who are INEPT, INCOMPETENT BULLIES. I would like to know if any of you received such harassment from MBNA and if you made a complaint to the FO. If so, what was the result..
    Thank you:help:
    yes definitely
    100.00%
    no
    0.00%
    Tags: None

Re: MBNA Harassments

What questions did they actually ask?
    With regards to the specific issues you raised did they indicate that any of the questions were not answered correctly?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X