• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Newbie introduction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie introduction

Hi,

I stumbled across this site whilst searching for some information, thought I'd give a brief outline of some current issues I have where this site would appear to be very helpful.

1. This first issue is with an adult stepson living at home. I don't have details of who or how much, but he has said that he has built up a number of debts (this is on top of money he owes to me). I've not pushed for details as he has a tendancy to avoid the truth so I am pretty sure I wouldn't get the full story anyway. My concern is that his debts will go unattended and we'll end up with bailiffs at the door or similar (gut feeling tells me this is not far away). Apart from the distress aspect of this, where do I stand regarding my own property? I've seen threads suggesting a statutory declaration or notice of ownership, these appear to be addressed to a specific bailiff, is there a blanket equivalent of this that says most of the property in this house belongs to me, the only exception being items in his bedroom? Are there any other actions I could take (kicking him out is a favourite with me, but causes problems between me and his Mum and wouldn't necessarily solve the problem anyway)?

2. This second issue is with the elder stepson who owns (and lives in) his own property. He has never lived with us, neither at my current address or previously. A number of letters have been delivered to him at this address, which are then forwarded by either his brother or his Mum. From the return addresses on the back of the envelopes I can see that some of these are from DCAs. A similar question as with the first issue, where do I stand regarding this, and how should I proceed?

3. I'm also in the process of a missold PPI claim against LTSB. I took out a mortgage in '97 and was told that PPI was a condition of the mortgage, I have this in writing from my mortgage broker. LTSB have so far offered approx 25% payments, their argument is that I could have cancelled the policy if I didn't want it to which my answer is that as a requirement of the mortgage this action would have put me in breach of the mortgage terms hence not going down this route. I'll be pushing them for the full 100% and will start a thread on the PPI forum shortly.

Thanks in advance for any guidance

Re: Newbie introduction

Hello rms1961 and a warm welcome to Beagles.
    Firstly please have a read of this forum it gives info on what Dca's and Bailiffs can and can't do
    DEBT COLLECTION AGENCIES, BAILIFFS and ENFORCEMENT - Legal Beagles
    Is there any chance you can get the stepson to come on here, explain how we can help him get his credit card charges back, presuming he has them. If he has bank charges then he should still write a complaint in to the bank and get in the system awaiting the outcome of the test case.
    Really we need to know a lot more about his debts, he can be helped and if he is reluctant at first then just ask him to register and have a read of the forum and see for himself.
    Please do start a thread of your own re your PPI claim then we can see if you need any help with that too.
    Hope this helps Enaid x

Comment

Hi RMS and welcome to the site.

Re step kids I've been there and done that so I know how your feeling, mind you most of us on here have experience re relatives debts in some shape or form.

Step son No. 1, sit him down and have a straightener with him, say you know he's in the xxxx and offer to help by doing the paperwork etc but only on the proviso that he's totally straight with you, and of course you have to promise not to hit the roof. Explain that you're worried about losing your home etc through his debts.

Step son No. 2, just an idea but why don't you 'purloin' the letters and write to the DCA's and giving them his real address? No one has to know its you thats done it as you could destroy the evidence couldn't you.

Just a couple of thoughts anyway, hope it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by sapphire View Post
        Step son No. 2, just an idea but why don't you 'purloin' the letters and write to the DCA's and giving them his real address? No one has to know its you thats done it as you could destroy the evidence couldn't you.
        Thanks for the responses so far.

Sapphire - I don't think purloining the letters is necessary, I have address details on the reverse of the envelopes (this is how I've identified them as DCAs), I'm sure his name and (my) address should be enough for them to go on, there's also a reference visible through the address window on one of them. I'm putting a simple letter together that will be posted today.

Comment

PPI thread now started - http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ad.php?t=18641

Comment

Hiya and welcome to Beagles

Stepson 1 - How old is he? and what does his mum feel about his racking up of debts? He may not know how to deal with them and sticking his head in the sand, which of course in this situation affects the entire family. He might just need some help and support sorting the debts out and getting things under control. No one WANTS to build up debt as it is extremely stressful but if you tackle it together as a family you should get it under control before you have to start seperating whos is whos stuff for bailiffs ?

Stepson 2 - Have you talked to his mum and brother, or even to him about these letters, asked what they are for and why they are coming here ? Also have you checked on your credit file about who is linked to you financially to see if it would affect your credit rating if he gets into trouble.

The PPI sounds quite clear cut as misselling - take it to FOS if thats Lloyds final response. There may also be an issue with the mortgage agreement and calculations of the PPI / interest so if you have a copy of that and can scan it in and post it would be most helpful.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X