• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tesco Mobile-Lowell phone contract scam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesco Mobile-Lowell phone contract scam

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me.

Last week, I received a letter from Lowell, a debt collection agency, saying that they'd bought a Tesco Mobile account in my name earlier in August (last month), with the outstanding debt currently totalling £1249.65.

The breakdown of this total is a one-month rolling usage contract (which comes to £60) and an Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB (which comes to £1189.65).

I was extremely surprised to hear that I owed any money to Tesco Mobile, as I don't have a contract with them (and have never had one with them). Therefore, someone seems to have taken out a contract in my name (although no money appears to have left my bank account).

I had received a few letters from Tesco Mobile earlier this year notifying me about an unpaid bill, but because I hadn't taken out a contract with them, I assumed that the letters were from a scammer and binned them.

I also received a notice of intended action in February to pay the £1249.65 total, but again, I assumed the letter was fraudulent. However, I have kept that letter.

I came across this thread on here of a similar case which was successfully resolved: Lowell taking me to court - LegalBeagles Forum. I am hoping for a similarly successful outcome in my case.

I have a number of questions and concerns:

1) I assume the account has been shut down as the total debt between February - when I received the notice of intended action - and August - when I received contact from Lowell - remains the same. However, I want to make sure that the account is shut down. How do I make sure of this?

2) How do I reduce the risk of something like this happening again?

3) How do I make sure that I don't pay any of this outstanding debt? On a related note, how do I prove my innocence?

4) How might this impact my credit rating and financial status in the future?

5) What sort of information might the scammer have known about me in order to open this account?

I am planning to speak to Lowell tomorrow for the first time to tell them what I know.

Any constructive responses, in layman's terms, would be much appreciated.
    Tags: None

Hi ALB

Welcome to LB

1) I assume the account has been shut down as the total debt between February - when I received the notice of intended action - and August - when I received contact from Lowell - remains the same. However, I want to make sure that the account is shut down. How do I make sure of this?

You are saying you have no knowledge of the account, it doesn't belong to you. So ensuring it's shut down, shouldn't concern you.

2) How do I reduce the risk of something like this happening again?

To be honest, even if you do protect your personal information, some other organisation might release your data via a cyber attack. It's a case of doing the best you can.

3) How do I make sure that I don't pay any of this outstanding debt? On a related note, how do I prove my innocence?

If you believe it's identity theft, then report the matter to the police, you can report it via Action Fraud.
    You also need to write to Lowell's with the Crime Reference Number, explain that a fraud has been perpetrated against you. Maybe they can track down any numbers that has been called or received.

4) How might this impact my credit rating and financial status in the future?

That's a question for the Credit Reference Agencies, give them a call.

5) What sort of information might the scammer have known about me in order to open this account?

If you've ever opened accounts before, it's that information.

I am planning to speak to Lowell tomorrow for the first time to tell them what I know.

Don't speak to them, write to them. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply. I have replied to each of your answers below.

You are saying you have no knowledge of the account, it doesn't belong to you. So ensuring it's shut down, shouldn't concern you.

My only concern if I don't push to get the account shut down is that I may receive more letters further down the line, which has the potential to be very stressful. I hadn't considered this perspective though, so thank you.

To be honest, even if you do protect your personal information, some other organisation might release your data via a cyber attack. It's a case of doing the best you can.

This is reassuring - thank you. Is it still worth changing any bank details, email passwords etc.?

If you believe it's identity theft, then report the matter to the police, you can report it via Action Fraud.

Thanks for this advice. I have just submitted a report to Action Fraud and they have provided me with a crime reference number.

That's a question for the Credit Reference Agencies, give them a call.

Is there a credit reference agency which you can recommend? I've seen that Experian fall into this bracket.

If you've ever opened accounts before, it's that information.

My Dad has only ever been in charge of my phone contracts, so to be honest, I'm not familiar with the process. Which personal details need to be given to mobile phone providers before they issue a contract?

Don't speak to them, write to them. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

Great advice - thank you. What should I include in the letter that I write to them that differs from what I've written in my original post on here (apart from the crime reference number) and what information should I omit?

Last edited by ALB; 8th September 2024, 21:58:PM.

Comment

a) This is reassuring - thank you. Is it still worth changing any bank details, email passwords etc.?

Should you have already done that, in realizing that an account had been set up in your name. If you lose you debit card, you act fast, you inform the bank, they send a new card with new details. You wouldn't wait months to ask the question.

b) Thanks for this advice. I have just submitted a report to Action Fraud and they have provided me with a crime reference number.

What they've given you is a Reference Number, not a crime reference number, the CRN follows, once they've investigated (that's my understanding).

c) Is there a credit reference agency which you can recommend? I've seen that Experian fall into this bracket.

No, but they can all be contacted by email.

d)My Dad has only ever been in charge of my phone contracts, so to be honest, I'm not familiar with the process. Which personal details need to be given to mobile phone providers before they issue a contract?

Email a mobile company, ask them.

e) Don't speak to them, write to them. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

Well, you want to give them a summary of what's happened, as follows:

It's not your account, you believe identity theft has taken place, you have no idea how it was set up (unless you do), you've reported it to the police, and you are waiting to hear back from them.

Comment

Thank you for these replies. When posting my letter to Lowell, I plan to enclose letters that I have received from both Lowell and Tesco Mobile. Should I include the original letters or copies of these letters?

I have also contacted Action Fraud. Although they said that they will make use of the information that I have provided, they said that my specific situation would only be a police-recordable crime if I had lost money due to identity theft, which, having done through my bank account, it doesn't seem like I have.

Comment

Originally posted by ALB View Post
            Thank you for these replies. When posting my letter to Lowell, I plan to enclose letters that I have received from both Lowell and Tesco Mobile. Should I include the original letters or copies of these letters?

I have also contacted Action Fraud. Although they said that they will make use of the information that I have provided, they said that my specific situation would only be a police-recordable crime if I had lost money due to identity theft, which, having done through my bank account, it doesn't seem like I have.
            You need to make a decision on whether you want to send copies or the originals.

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/a-...identity-theft

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X