• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Conveyancer negligence query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conveyancer negligence query

Hi there, I am wondering if anyone can help or has any suggestions.

I am enquiring as to whether I can get compensation for conveyancing negligence. I completed on the purchase of a shared ownership property in May 2023 and only one year after moving in I was made aware that, on top of the service charge for the flat, there is and Estate and Building service charge which amounts to £200 a month on top of the £150 "normal" service charge (for the Flat).

My solicitor was aware and told me he didn’t sent me the information because of my dyslexia but told me about it and apparently showed me at a meeting but I am sure I never saw that document.
    He offered, without prejudice, to clear any arrears I have. However the issue is that I would not have purchased a flat with a total of £350 in service charges had I been made aware of.

Also, during the purchasing process, on more than one occasion the Housing Association confirmed in writing that the seller had advised them that the service charge was in the region of £150 per month payable to the Managing agent (and only around £4 a month to them) and this is the amount I gave my financial assessor, along with the rent and all my outgoings, when discussing my mortgage options.

I have a number of emails from the solicitor following my request for clarification (where they offered to clear my arrears) where the response given was incongruent and elusive.

As a result of this negligence I am now in the position of having to pay an extra £2,400 every year in service charges (on top of the £1,800 I was aware of) and this won’t change unless I sell the property. However, not many will be interested in purchasing a Flat with such high service charges so I feel I am stuck, not due to fault of my own.

A Solicitor seems to be interested in taking the case although I have to prove to him it's worth his time so have to come up with a figure that states what my loss would be (for instance if to secure a sale I would need to drop the selling price - how much would that drop be?)

Can anyone offer any suggestions, advice?

Many thanks
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X