• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

British Gas home care issues and failed power flushes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Gas home care issues and failed power flushes

I would like some advice. It concerns British Gas and there are 2 issues. The first is a new boiler. After 14 months it started cutting out. B Gas told me to reset it several times then when the problem persisted they told me they could not repair it until I could supply a fault code. When an engineer came out he told me that the power flush i paid for in installation was not done properly indeed he went further by saying installation teams are rubbish at that. he told me that sludge had been driven into the pipes running from the tank to the boiler. BG have never disputed this statement. My understanding is that admission of fault by a servant of a company committed that company. BG had sold me the power flush saying it would protect my boiler and would reduce fuel use. However subsequently they claimed 1) the boiler would be protected by the filter. I spent a long time contacting the makers to disprove this and supplied BG with a statement form the makers stating the filter only provides partial protection..... BG also alleged that systems can be properly flushed and can resilt quickly. They said it depends on the water area. I spent more of my time establishing that my water area has very soft water.. furthermore when they replaced my radiator ( see the second issue) the people who removed it commented (without prompting) that they had never seen so much sludge so yet more evidence the power flush was not carried out correctly. Whats more since the power flush was done again in early 2022 the boiler has functioned well yet more evidence that the job was not done correctly. I also had to have my doors open during cold weather while the power flush was carried out again so costing me more in fuel. I did research into power flushes which shows they should generally be effective for at least 7-8 years.

The second issue is my home care agreement. A Radiator started leaking in the December. An engineer attended and said it needed replacing. He also said he had capped off the leak. But he had not. it continued leaking for several months until another engineer did the job correctly. In the meantime I had to empty a bowl 5 times a day. After a delay a radiator and piping were delivered they sat in my home for some weeks before an engineer came. he said the radiator was the wrong size. So there was a further delay - the materials were later picked up- and a new radiator was delivered. Then a man came to fit it he said it could not be done it was a 2 person job so yet another appointment was made. That appointment was broken by the company concerned without telling me. Eventually the radiator was fixed but it had taken months.

Throughout all this I had terrible trouble with contacting BG. I spend almost 60 hours talking to them and experienced extreme frustrations with their web chat which they had admitted is defective. I had changes in complaint managers and had to repeat much of what I had said.

BG maintain a) the original power flush was done correctly b) I cannot prove any damage or additional fuel usage ( despite their advertising material saying there would be damage and extra fuel use without a power flush).

They set me a cheque for £100 which i declined to cash.

My home care agreement - an annual one costing £360 a year was effectively breached by taking many months to replace my radiator.

I now intend to sue BG in the small claim court.

If anyone can give me advice on what I can claim for or if anyone has gone through a similar experience i would be grateful for advice.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X