• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bankruptcy opposition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bankruptcy opposition

Hi,

Can someone sate they are opposing a bankruptcy petition without actually stating why, and simply asking for more time to obtain evidence, despite the initial hearing being 2.5 years ago, and the request to set aside the SD2 being more than 2.5 months ago.

Surely they have had enough time to collate any evidence ?

Thanks,

Tags: None

That approach will not get that person far, particularly given the failed application to set the statutory demand aside.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you. I have now received his opposition but it all looks very dubious. On one hand he is asking to vary the judgement 2 years after the CCJ was awarded in my favour and he hasn’t paid a penny since. Plus within the same opposition which seems to clearly accept the debt by virtue of the fact he is now offering payment (back against the wall), he is asking for an adjournment due to ‘new evidence’ he claims he has from the transcript of the hearing over 2 years ago that he still doesn’t have. He lost the hearing he lost 3 appeals against the outcome so this argument is old news

Comment

Can anyone advise, following my successful petition and subsequently obtaining bankruptcy against a Rogue Builder.

It is my understanding that it is illegal to act as a company director when you know you are insolvent. The individual concerned knew they were insolvent at least as far back as the service of the SD2, if not well before then, i.e. when the initial claim was made and won in Dec 2022. Subsequently and despite knowing they were insolvent, they have applied to CH to change the name of their company, and within court submissions at the bankruptcy hearing, tried to convince the judge that the company name should have been X instead of Y, in an attempt to hide behind the corporate veil. This failed in court, but clearly this action was taken well after knowing they were insolvent, and was not nearly a matter of a name change but an attempt to pervert the course of justice. Is this action therefore illegal, and should the IS take steps to prosecute as I believe this is a criminal act?

Thanks.

Comment

It is illegal to act as a director when bankrupt (s11 cdda86) and when disqualified (s13 cdda86) but not illegal to act when insolvent so the IS will not prosecute unless he has acted aince the bankruptcy and he will be given time to either resign or apply for leave to act as a director under s17.

What can be dodgy is wrongful or fraudulent trading, so trading with knowledge of insolvency. The IS may consider a BRO if it can be shown the trader carried on trading after knowledge of insolvency and there is a detriment by the continued trading eg. Creditors increased. This would be civil not criminal action. The IS rarely takes action on fraudulent or wrongful trading, it is usually a process an Insolvency Practitioner will use if appointed to try and get a recovery.

Comment

Doesn’t anyone have any ideas ?

Comment

I think OP posted at the same time Missimaxo posted, so post 6 is irrelevant
              There was a recent thread where a builder asked a customer to pay for work by bank transfer into his personal bank account, not his business account. The customer paid as the builder requested. The contract was agreed with his limited company. The company then went into voluntary liquidation. That has to be an example of fraudulent trading

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X