• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Working away from main home. and renting. What will my council tax be

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working away from main home. and renting. What will my council tax be

Hello everyone.
    First time poster here so be gentle
    My husband and I own our own property in Brighton and pay our council tax there.
    Hubby has been going through chemo etc but better now, only its not fair for him to move yet.
    I have been given a contract job for 12 months in Cardiff. It pays well, not great but good, and I am going to rent a small place on the weekdays Monday-Friday and then return to Brighton on weekdays.
    My question is: How much council tax will I have to pay on the small Cardiff property?
    Kind regards
    Tags: None

So you aren't buying anywhere in Cardiff just renting it for 12 months? Does the lease make you as tenant responsible for paying Council Tax? I imagine it does, that's the usual arrangement. Cardiff council will tell you how much. As sole resident you should be entitled to a 25 % discount

Was there a reason you thought it might be more complicated than that?
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Hello and thank you for your reply.
      Yes the lease makes me the sole tenant. I also pay full council tax with my husband in Brighton.
      The contract is for 12 months, but the position offers promising outlooks ie they will train me up to be an Operations Lead, something that will help with future endeavours.
      In essence I will be asked to pay 2 council taxes, one in Brighton and one in Cardiff. Some sketchy places I visited claimed that because I already pay council tax somewhere else, I would not be required to pay in again.... I didn't think that sounded right so I thought to check.
      This site offered the most insights into issues like this. I am well aware of the power that councils have and I did not want to make assumptions regarding my expenses.
      Many thanks for your help. It is verily appreciated.

Comment

The council tax attaches to the property: two properties, two council taxes.
        All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X