• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Partnership Agreement Clarification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partnership Agreement Clarification

Hi, first post here. Wondering if someone could offer some advice. I am an equal partner in a property letting business. Whilst querying the managing partner regarding their decision to spend a significant amount (circa. £20,000) to redecorate a property they insisted I have "no authority over day-to-day business of the partnership". Having reviewed the Partnership Agreement (see excerpts below), I am seeking clarification if this is correct or not. "The distribution of profits, allocation of losses, and the requirement for Additional Capital Contributions, as well as all other financial matters, will be agreed by unanimous written consent of the Partners."

"All the Partners will be consulted, and the advice and opinions of the Partners will be obtained as much as is practicable. However, the Managing Partner will have management and control of the day-to-day business of the Partnership for the purposes stated in this Agreement. All matters outside the day-to-day business of the Partnership will be agreed by the unanimous written consent of the Partners.

In addition to day-to-day management tasks, the Managing Partner's duties will include keeping or causing to be kept full and accurate business records for the Partnership according to generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and overseeing the preparation of any reports considered reasonably necessary to keep the Partners informed of the business performance of the Partnership.

The Managing Partner will not be liable to the remaining Partners for any action or failure to act resulting in loss or harm to the Partnership except in the case of gross negligence or willful misconduct.

The Managing Partner is authorized and may retain or otherwise secure or enter into contracts with persons or firms as from time to time may be required in the management of the Partnership's business, including but not limited to arrangements with sales companies, attorneys, accountants, brokers, advertising, and insurance companies.

Only the Managing Partner will have the authority to bind the Partnership in contract." "The following list of actions will require the unanimous written consent of all Partners:

• Withdrawal of Capital
    • Financial Decisions
    • Remuneration for services rendered
    • Withdrawal of funds in relation to non day-to-day business of the Partnership
    • Management of matters outside the day-to-day business of the Partnership
    • Admitting a New Partner
    • Transfer of Partnership Interests
    • Dissolution of the Partnership
    • Title to Partnership Property
    • Amendment of this Agreement

"Day-to-day business of the Partnership means those regular income and expenditure decisions and transactions that facilitate the continuation of the Partnership’s daily business operations."

"Non day-to-day business of the Partnership means those business decisions and transactions not defined as day-to-day business of the Partnership."

Tags: None

Is there no clause limiting the Managing Partner's power to act unilaterally, e.g. saying decisions on expenditure exceeding £x must be agreed by all partners?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Unfortunately not

Comment

atticus, based on your queation, do i assume there is no possibility to challenge this?

Comment

There is always more to a story (and to a document). But on what you have said, I cannot see that you have grounds to complain.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X