• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Resignation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resignation

Hi, one of my employees gave me 8 weeks notice (only need 4). Can I ask her to leave before the end of the 8 weeks as holiday? Thank you for any help you can give.
    Tags: None

That seems a bit harsh! Employees usually give more than the minimum intending to help their employer, doing the employer a good turn so that the employer has time to recruit a replacement before the resigning employee actually leaves...

Anyway, what exactly is the wording of the notice period in the employee's contract?
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Originally posted by questiontime View Post
      Hi, one of my employees gave me 8 weeks notice (only need 4). Can I ask her to leave before the end of the 8 weeks as holiday? Thank you for any help you can give.
      Sorry I didn't want to go on with a long post. While I was grateful for the 8 weeks notice I expect the same level of commitment until the last day of work. The employee in question, since giving notice doesn't meet deadlines, comes in late leaves earlier and clearly defies any direct order. For the sake of a few weeks I don't want to go into all the legal rights I have or they have etc. It would be easier and nicer to everyone to just let them go earlier (after the 4 weeks notice finish) as this situation is now disturbing and impacting the rest of the team.

Comment

OK, but can you post the exact wording of the notice period in the employee's contract please.

And are you intending to keep on paying them for the full 8 weeks after they handed in their notice even though you will tell them not to attend their workplace, or to stop paying them after 4 weeks?
        All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Sorry I didn't want to go on with a long post. While I was grateful for the 8 weeks notice I expect the same level of commitment until the last day of work. The employee in question, since giving notice doesn't meet deadlines, comes in late leaves earlier and clearly defies any direct order. For the sake of a few weeks I don't want to go into all the legal rights I have or they have etc. It would be easier and nicer to everyone to just let them go earlier (after the 4 weeks notice finish) as this situation is now disturbing and impacting the rest of the team.
          After 4 weeks they take the holiday accrued get paid for the holiday and that is it.

Comment

I'll ask again. What is the exact wording of the notice period lause in the employee's contract of employment?

Comment

After 4 weeks they take the holiday accrued get paid for the holiday and that is it.
              NOTICE OF TERMINATION

Employee Notice
              You are required to give the Company following written notice of your intention to terminate your employment. This notice must be confirmed in writing:
              1. No notice is applicable in the first 4 weeks of service.
              1. After four weeks’ service and during your probation period; the notice period is one week.

c. After successful completion of your probationary period notice is one month.

Comment

Thank you for posting up the relevant clause.

When did the person hand in their notice?

Have you acknowledged their resignation and thereby accepted their 8 week notice period?
                If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do not provide advice by PM although I may on occasion ask you to send me documents this way but any related advice will be provided back on your thread.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
                If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X