• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bins in a shared freehold building

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bins in a shared freehold building

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice here. I have a particularly nasty neighbour, I have the top floor of a freehold building and he has the basement flat, which he rents out. The outside bins for collection are outside their front door in the basement well. The neighbour has emailed me to say that I am not allowed to use them as the basement dwelling is entirely his. Is there any legal push back to his comment?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Best,
    Issy
    Tags: None

Hi Daisyadvice

Welcome to LB

I think this will be dictated by the Deeds to the top floor flat (property).
    No doubt he will have the same in his deeds. I don't think they will be
    different. You can check yours and your neighbour's online via
    the Registry website. It doesn't cost much.

https://www.gov.uk/get-information-a...opies-of-deeds

If there are multiple requests like that and the bins are shared,
    then it might be 'harassment' as he is aware that they are shared.

Do update, no doubt other members will provide further comment.

Comment

As advised above you need to look at what the deeds say about rights to use the basement well. It's presumablky a communal area?

Is it just the two properties in the building?

Who owns the bins? Or were they provided by the council designated fo each property? Are the bins identified separately for each property?

It rge space outside the entrance door to the building to put the bins?
      All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Originally posted by PallasAthena View Post
        As advised above you need to look at what the deeds say about rights to use the basement well. It's presumablky a communal area?

Is it just the two properties in the building?

Who owns the bins? Or were they provided by the council designated fo each property? Are the bins identified separately for each property?

It rge space outside the entrance door to the building to put the bins?
        It sounds like communal bins to me, I might be wrong, 1100 litre bins x 3.

Comment

It is going to be necessary to look at the leases to see which areas come within an individual demise and which areas are common parts.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X