• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Allotment nuisance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allotment nuisance

Allotments at the back of my house are often a nuisance because of use of power strimmers, drills etc. The noises can be heard inside my house above the sound of my tv and ordinary living noises.

The council say that plot holders can use their machinery up until 7pm but this is contradicted by a May 2011 letter (see attachment). Can the council be forced to comply with what their letter says? Screenshot_20240613-170849_kindlephoto-51852131.png

Thank you
    Tags: None

That doesn't look like a letter from the council. Reads more like a letter from the Allotment organisation. Anyway it's not at all clear that the letter has any legal standing, it doesn't seem to be a statement about formal council policy

I'm not a lawyer but I doubt there is any specific law saying what times of day machinery can be used, you nwould be looking at general laws on nuisance. Someone here may be able to offer advcie on that
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

It is a letter from the Corporate Policies and Procedures dept of the council, written on council headed paper, even giving the address of the appropriate Ombudsman (in response to a complaint made at the time). I can post the entire letter but thought it not appropriate when only the paragraph I did post was relevant to the hours.
      Thank you
      Last edited by Monday; 13th June 2024, 17:13:PM. Reason: To identify where the letter came from

Comment

You could try complaining to the council's Environmental Health Department about the noise nuisance.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Monday View Post
          It is a letter from the Corporate Policies and Procedures dept of the council, written on council headed paper, even giving the address of the appropriate Ombudsman (in response to a complaint made at the time). I can post the entire letter but thought it not appropriate when only the paragraph I did post was relevant to the hours.
          Thank you
          If you play secret squirrel and don't post full documents or any context or disclose authorship you shouldn't be surprised if people here can only give you limited advice.

I'm out of this thread.
          All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Sorry, there was no intention to offend

Comment

Contact you local councillor in person to discuss - that is what they are there for

Comment

I have. They have neither acknowledged nor responded

Comment

That is not good enough. Try again - if they ignore you complain higher in their political party if they have one - or the leader of the council

Comment

Yes, will do. In fact I didn't realise (until the post from Pallasathena) the significance of my letter being from Corporate Policies and Procedures and not the Allotment Dept.

Thank you

Comment

And don't forget to contact the Environmental Health Department.
                      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Brilliant! Thank you all so much

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X