• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

2nd hand Car issues including mis sold Warranty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd hand Car issues including mis sold Warranty

My son's partner treated herself to a 2nd hand car for Christmas.
    The car came from a dealer specializing in top of the range vehicles which one expects to be pretty professional.
    Her VW was more modest than many on the forecourt, but at £16,000 was hardly bargain basement. A Warranty was purchased at an additional cost of £400 and my son questioned exactly what this covered and what constituted "a part" viz is "an engine a part or a collection of parts, to be clear" He was assured that the engine was A PART. and the purchase was made. I am not sure how this was done at this stage.
    The vehicle "blew and died" at the end of May and apparently requires a new engine! The estimated cost is around £10,000 and she has been offered a bit less than £1,000 towards the repair from the Warranty Co. Clearly this is ridiculous and the policy sold was not fit for purpose. I am sure that there must be something they can do as the vehicle cannot be classed as fit for purpose. I have looked at other cases on the forum and have taken advice onboard but would much appreciate a specific view. Thank you so much for reading.
    Tags: None

Your son's partner should write to the dealer and let him know what has happened to the car he sold her last December, providing the date of purchase and the date the car's engine "died"
    Under CRA 2015, if a serious fault with a vehicle develops within 6 months from the date of purchase, the dealer must be given a chance by the consumer to repair or replace the vehicle.
    If the dealer fails to do so within a reasonable time or causes the consumer significant inconvenience, the consumer may reject the vehicle. The dealer should pick up the vehicle and if rejected, should refund the consumer the amount paid less a deduction for usage

Comment

How was the purchase made...cash/credit card/finance?

Comment

Thanks for the reply which I have forwarded on for her to see. She replied that she has e mailed them today and I have suggested a follow up by recorded delivery would be a good idea. Thanks for this.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X