• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Break between contracts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break between contracts

Hello,

My partner has been contracting (Inside IR35) wither her current job for the past 2.5 years. The business is claiming they cannot continue to renew her contract on account of some 2 year rule so have presented her with 2 options.

1) She finishes her current contract at the end of June - and then return to a different role as a contractor - again inside IR35.

OR

2) She finishes her current contract at the end of June - and then return to a different role on a Fixed Term Contract.

My question is - what length of break after she finishes in June is required under either option? Her employer is claiming an as yet undetermined break period is required before she can return.

Many thanks
    Tags: None

A contractor inside IR35 is an individual operating as a limited company contractor, when in fact they should be classified as an employee. In other words, a worker inside IR35 is a deemed employee and should be treated as such for tax purposes.

My concern with what you have said about the 2 year rule is that in fact your wife is not a contractor inside of IR35, she is in fact an employee. As an employee you gain employment rights after 2 years of service. This could potentially be why they are trying to leave the break period undetermined.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Ok so they shouldn't have let her stay as a contractor past 2 years?
      PUtting all that aside is there a law requiring for a certain length of break before rejoing ?

Comment

Is your partner claiming travel expenses between home and the client’s premises, if so that is the only other reference to a 2 year rule which is one that she needs to be aware of not the company.

The only thing I can refer you to legally is that under the current provisions of the 1996 Act, continuity of employment will only usually be broken by a break of one clear week between two contracts of employment, where one clear week is to be measured from Sunday to Saturday.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

No travel expenses are being claimed.
          They are saying a break of 2-3 months may be needed?? Does the clean break period need to be that long?
          Last edited by Kiwiguy74; 3rd May 2024, 08:06:AM.

Comment

I am not sure why they are saying this amount of time will be needed. May be worth your partner going back and asking why.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X