• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Shoplifting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoplifting

Hi

I am not seeking judgement just some advice.
    I realise that what I have done is totally wrong, stupid and will have consequences.

On 26th April I attended a local Home Bargains. I purchased about £30 worth of items but at the same time hid 4 items worth approximately £10 in my coat pockets. I have no idea why I did this but I did.

I went through the tills paying for my items in my trolley but not the items in my pocket.
    I was stopped at the door by a man who identified himself as a store detective​​​​​. I carried on walking as he did alongside me.
    He looked in my trolley and said be couldn’t see chewing gum he saw me take from a shelf.
    We were now just outside the front door. I didn’t speak but handed him £3 of chewing gum I had in my pocket. This left me with about £7 of cosmetics in my pockets. At this point he took hold of my trolley which contained the legitimately purchased items. I didn’t want to enter into a tussle.

I thought I would cut my losses and left. I took about £15 worth of the items out the trolley and walked off leaving him holding my trolley with the other half of the purchased Items.
    I entered my car and drove off. I noticed the Store Detective taking pictures of my car.

My actions were stupid and entitled.
    I’m 44 years old. No prior convictions or warnings.

I know none of us have a crystal ball.
    I fully expect this to be passed to the Police. Just wondering if anyone may estimate when I might hear from
    Police, what I should do and a likely outcome.

thanks for listening.
    Tags: None

Hi Helpneeded74

Welcome to LB

Breaking it down, I don't think anything will happen. You spent £30, handed back some of your shopping, handed back gum and kept cosmetics (not sure they are aware of that). If he's taken a picture then it will only for any future visits so that they are aware. The best thing is to avoid the store for sometime. Calm down, get on with your day to day life.

If anything does materialize, police involvement etc and you have to attend the police station, make sure a solicitor is there to advise you.

Update the thread if anything further happens.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X