• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Extended balcony - neighbours can see right into my property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extended balcony - neighbours can see right into my property

I purchased my current property two years ago, and, unfortunately, the neighbour’s balcony at the rear of the property has been partly fixed onto the wall on my side of the boundary, encroaching and damaging the rendering/brickwork. In fact, the length of the entire balcony encroaches over the boundary. I was overseas at the time of the purchase, and a family member who did the viewing on my behalf didn’t notice the issue. When I spotted the problem, rather than ceate a boundary dispute, I decided to suck it up and ignore the matter. At that time, the neighbour’s balcony was in disrepair and not in use.

All of the houses in the terrace have rear balconies at first floor level, but they are quite small, whereas the neighbour’s balcony has been extended so that it is at least four times larger than the original balcony they had. This wasn’t an issue until last summer, when they decided to refurbish the balcony, which had previously not been in use. Unfortunately, they are now using it quite a lot, and because the balcony has been extended so far, it is proving to be very intrusive indeed, as they can see right into my house. In fact, they complimented the layout of my new kitchen! In short, my living room and kitchen are no longer private, and we feel that we have to keep the curtains closed whenever we want to switch off and relax. This is a great pity, as the rear of the property has large picture windows that look out onto the garden.

As the balcony was probably extended more than four years ago, is there anything I can do about this? My understanding is that they should have obtained planning permission, but neglected to do so. However, I imagine that, due to the length of time that the balcony has been in situ, the local council will not be willing to act. However, I may have some sort of cause of action, I guess, particularly in relation to the encroachment. I suspect that they are going to say that the previous owner of my property, an elderly lady, was quite happy for them to extend the balcony as they did.

Ideally, from my perspective, they should take the balcony down and replace it with a balcony of the original size, on their side of the boundary. Obviously, I cannot see them being at all happy to do this.

Any advice would be most welcome.
    Tags: None

Canyou ask them to put up some kind of screen?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      Canyou ask them to put up some kind of screen?
      That is one possible solution. It would definitely improve the privacy issue, but, unfortunately, it would remove our view of the forest in the distance. I guess that that is a compromise we might have to make.

It doesn’t get round the issue of the encroachment and damage to the brickwork, however.

Comment

no, but it will be cheaper and will involve less aggravation.

Do you own your property freehold, or is it a leasehold flat? If freehold, there may be an ongoing trespass onto your property. If leasehold, you may need to raise the matter with your landlord.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Yes, I’ve been trying to avoid a neighbour dispute, but the encroachment may make it more difficult for me to sell the property.
          Last edited by Bowlofcherries; 27th April 2024, 15:50:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
            no, but it will be cheaper and will involve less aggravation.

Do you own your property freehold, or is it a leasehold flat? If freehold, there may be an ongoing trespass onto your property. If leasehold, you may need to raise the matter with your landlord.
            It’s freehold. Here is a photo of the encroachment.

Attached Files

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X