• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claim received from other party in car accident

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claim received from other party in car accident

Received a claim? Yes:
    Issue Date: 19-04
    Have you Acknowledged the Claim?:Yes
    Total Amount Claimed : 6700
    Claimant’s Name: Mrs Watson
    Solicitors Firm: None
    Original Creditor:
    Original Debt Car accident reported to insurance
    Particulars of Claim: The Claimant claims damages arising from an accident on 08/10/2022 resulting from the negligence of the defendant. I have complied with section 3 and 4 of the pre action protocol.
    Is the debt Statute Barred No:
    List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ): Phone contact with my insurance company awaiting reply
    Any Other Information or Background Details: Details exchanged Accident was reported to Insurance, my car was repaired by my insurance nothing further heard, nothing received from Claimant at any time until now.

I have spoken to the insurance who are going to get back to me within 48 hours, It appears that the Claimant didn't go through the insurance, now 18 months on has decided to claim from the driver.
    Has anyone had any experience of this?
    My view is that the driver is not liable to pay for the 3rd party repairs just because they failed to correctly follow the insurance procedure.
    Whilst I hope that my insurance will take this over I still need to file a defence. Is there a legal phrase that I can put in defence saying not my problem they didn't follow procedure to repair their car?
    Tags: None

You reported the accident at the time so there should be no difficulty with your insurers taking this over and filing the acknowledgement and defence.
    ​​​​​
    It's a Third Party Liability claim against you irrespective of how the other driver brings the claim so should be covered by the TP section of your policy.

The only thing that worries me a bit is that claimant says she sent you the formal pre-action Letter of Claim. Did you get it? If so what did you do with it? You should have immediately sent it to your insurer.
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Notify your insurance company at once. This is exactly what you have insurance for.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

This claim is the first correspondence I have received from the Claimant, I have had no previous request for payment or insurance details. Also the name of the claimant wasn't the name given at the time from the driver, but maybe is the policy holder the details I have put in is all that was on the form.

Comment

Wait for your insurers to respond to you. If they ask about the pre-action Letter of Claim confirm you did not receive it.
          All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

I have more information.from my insurance. It appears that the repairs were above the level of economic repair ie it was a write off, My insurers (Ageas) agreed to a value of £4500 which has been paid to their insurers (LV) It appears LV are still not agreeing to the repairs and have not paid.
            My insurers have appointed a solicitor for me but they haven't been in touch yet.
            I am assuming if it comes to it the defence is that this is not my liability the defendant should be LV

Comment

No, the claim will be against you. You will remain the Defendant but your insurers appoint and pay for your legal defence and any awards made by the court if the claimant is successful (assuming your insurers accept that the claim against you is covered by your policy). The insurer/their solicitor takes over and defends the claim in your name.

I understand from post #1 you have filed the formal Acknowledgement of Service. Did you tick to say you intend to defend all of the claim? How to Acknowledge a Claim - LegalBeagles

The solicitor appointed by the insurers now needs to file the defence within the timescale so keep pushing for the solicitor to get in touch with you ASAP so that the deadline for filing the defence is not missed.
              Last edited by PallasAthena; 27th April 2024, 08:19:AM.

Comment

PallasAthena is right.
                Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

PallasAthena is right.

Comment

Interestingly LV includes motor legal expenses insurance in their comprehensive policy
                    With Ageas this insurance is an add-on
                    Did OP take out the legal expenses insurance with Ageas?
                    Have both insurance companies agreed that the car is beyond economic repair and is a write off? OP stated LV has not agreed to the repairs?
                    The claimant seems to be unhappy with the write-off value being offered by LV, has not accepted it and has decided to make a separate claim

Comment

I have a few answers but only from a brief phone call with my underwriters Ageas. I didn't ask for legal expenses they organised a solicitor for me. Both insurance companies agreed the car was an uneconomic repair and agreed a value of £4500 which Ageas have paid to LV.
                      It appears that the third party has had the vehicle repaired for £5534. The only brief information I have is that LV haven't as of yet paid out, I don't know any details of why not.. It does appear that the claimant has bypassed his insurance and mine and claimed via the county court system

Comment

Originally posted by mike22861 View Post
                        It does appear that the claimant has bypassed his insurance and mine and claimed via the county court system
                        Which, legally, they are entitled to do.

The claimant is presumably the vehicle owner, which is likely why it is a different name to the driver at the time of the accident. It is the owner who would need to bring the claim, not the driver.

Priority for you is to make sure the solicitor appointed by your insurer is working on the defence and is going to get the defence in on time. Small claims court has strcit timetables that have to be met.

Comment

I have just done a vehicle check and the Claimant's vehicle is currently MOT'd until end of June so it must have been repaired at least to roadworthy standard

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X