• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dispute over Used Car Repairs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dispute over Used Car Repairs

Last summer my son purchased a 2nd hand car from a dealer in Slough. The car was delivered with a fault light on and we immediately requested the vehicle be returned for refund. Dealer flatly refused stating the warranty will cover it. We tried to return the vehicle (£540 cost) which they refused to accept eventually having to bring car back and leaving it at a local workshop. Vehicle was off the road for several weeks. Warranty company stated we were not covered. We also issued them a formal rejection letter under the CRA which was not accepted and they preferred to work things out with us.

Long story cut short, eventually dealer agreed to have local workshop repair and send the invoice to them for payment. We made sure the invoice was in the name of the dealer.

7 months on, my son has now received a "Letter of Claim" for full payment from the workshop, despite them sending the invoice to the dealer.

Is the contract between my son and workshop, as it is his car? Or between the dealer and the workshop. We have evidence that the dealer authorised the work to be completed at their expense.

Any advice or guidance on where we stand would be gratefully received please?

Thank you in advance,

B_M
    Tags: None

Hi,

As I read it, the contractual relationship is between your son and the local garage unless your son can show the dealer specifically arranged themselves for your son to attend that local garage. The dealer 'authorising' the work carried out by the garage is not the same as the garage being the party that entered into the contract with the garage. It sounds like the garage is saying, get the work done, pay for it and send me the invoice so I will pay your son back.

Your son should have stuck to his guns and rejected the vehicle then took the dealer to court, now your son potentially is losing out on more money if that dealer suddenly decides to go bust, but it is what it is.

Your son will either have to pay the money and then sue the dealer or allow the garage to issue a claim against your son and then your son join the dealer as a defendant who he will counterclaim against for that amount of money.

Was any part of the price paid for by credit card?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi Rob,

Many thanks for this feedback. You have stated what I thought might be the case. Nothing was paid by credit card unfortunately. The dealer was particularly difficult to deal with after the fault was discovered and the long story was due to us upholding our rights and threatening legal action before he finally agreed to pay the costs.

Rejecting the car is not simple when they simply refused to accept it back at the dealership.

Thanks again, I will speak to local garage and see what they say.

B_M

Comment

Appreciate dealers can be difficult and may refuse to allow your son to exercise his rights but the recourse is to go down the legal route. By not doing that, your son has effectively exercised a different right which potentially has overridden the original one and is now stuck with a potential claim from the garage for work that has been carried out, and the dealer nowhere to be seen.

I've seen this story before and quite often, it doesn't go very well for the consumer. Some other fault might exist or occur and the dealer refuses to accept responsibility or just disappears and shuts up shop only for the consumer to be left with an unusable vehicle without having to pay for further costs of repair out of their own pocket, all because the consumer didn't bother to enforce their original right of rejection.

Not suggesting your son will experience the same issues but it happens more often that you think so it is something your son needs to be mindful of, whatever way this ends up going.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Under CRA 2015 the dealer should definitely be paying to fix the fault.
          You stated the dealer agreed to have the car repaired at a local workshop and they would pay the invoice.
          If the garage persists in claiming against your son I would follow Rob's second procedure, adding the dealer as a defendant and counterclaiming against the dealer. You should win your claim and the judge should order the dealer to pay the garage bill. You could claim other costs at the same time. The garage would have to chase the dealer for payment, which he has probably already done.
          If your son pays the garage bill he may face problems claiming the money from the dealer in court.

Comment

Thank you Pezza54, I presume I need to engage with a legal firm to take me through the process?

Comment

How much is the garage bill?
              If it is under £10k the claim is likely to be allocated to the small claims track and your son's legal costs will not be recoverable
              Judging by your previous thread about vt and advice available on this website, you should be capable of drafting your son's defence
              The garage might be attempting to scare your son into paying their invoice and do not intend to start a court claim

Comment

Garage bill is £584 and has come direct from a collection agency, which suggests they have already attempted to gain payment from the dealer without success? Would I be able to recover the cost of the car transporter, when we attempted to return the vehicle to the dealer, do you think?

Comment

Yes, the dealer refused your legal right to reject the car and as he wouldn't take responsibility for the car you had to have it transported back home. A red eml was a serious fault.and you were right not to drive the car
                  Certainly not worth employing a solicitor. Their non recoverable costs would probably be more than your claim against the dealer

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X