• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DWF Sainsburys fine letter £150

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWF Sainsburys fine letter £150

Good evening

Recently I was apprehended for shoplifting, I've never committed a crime and was in a very bad place financially and made a very silly choice.

The items I was apprehended with were all taken back and were fully reusable so they haven't lost out on goods (which doesn't make it any less a bad thing I know) but they are trying recover security costs.

An in-store detective stopped me at the door and took me to the back of the shop, there the manager came and informed me of a lifetime ban, I fully accepted that there may be follow-up in the form of a fine from the police (even though no police were called)

Due to financial struggles and life issues which I won't bore people with I put myself in this situation by stealing I am truly ashamed of my actions.

I still own a property with my ex as we haven't sorted out our divorce but she lives there with my children, I have had to move in with family but the address on my driver's license they looked at when checking my details is the house I still own with my ex

Upon reading many posts it seems that the general rule is to ignore DWF, however, natural human concern does make me want to check some details.

Many posts state ignoring the letters but I haven't seen many saying about resolution if they did
    Is it likely they would come to the property as my ex is none the wiser and I'm concerned she may try to use it against me if they did.
    People mentioned threats of it affecting credit rating but as far as I can see this is all a bluff.

I'm just concerned that if I do ignore their demand I could be causing myself loads more issues.

Really appreciate any help on this

I've attached a copy of the letter received.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by davec2019; 14th November 2023, 21:38:PM.
    Tags: None

I wouldn't worry too much. Many people on here advocate to ignore them but I have the opposite opinion. Further letters will be sent if you ignore and may become more threatening but the threats are hollow at best as they have no basis for bringing a claim.

I recently helped a friend who was being bombarded by DWF and I'm attached an example response. Note this is the extreme end of a response and a quick and dirty job to put them on the back foot so feel free to adapt to suit your needs and what you're comfortable with. I do genuinely believe that DWF and other law firms are not adhering to the codes of conduct when it comes to issuing these letters and the SRA (regulator governing solicitors and law firms) should really take action. So if you really feel like reporting them you can do by going to the SRA website and sending them a complaint.
    Attached Files
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
      I wouldn't worry too much. Many people on here advocate to ignore them but I have the opposite opinion. Further letters will be sent if you ignore and may become more threatening but the threats are hollow at best as they have no basis for bringing a claim.

I recently helped a friend who was being bombarded by DWF and I'm attached an example response. Note this is the extreme end of a response and a quick and dirty job to put them on the back foot so feel free to adapt to suit your needs and what you're comfortable with. I do genuinely believe that DWF and other law firms are not adhering to the codes of conduct when it comes to issuing these letters and the SRA (regulator governing solicitors and law firms) should really take action. So if you really feel like reporting them you can do by going to the SRA website and sending them a complaint.
      Thanks for your response

I suppose my main concern would be if I interact with them by sending them the letter will this cause them to step up their actions, How did it go with your friend when they sent this letter can I ask?

If they are unsuccessful will it just be passed onto another company to try and get money?

I don't want to pay their costs but in turn, I don't want to end up causing loads more issues for my self.

Comment

just send that letter see them run! get free proof of posting at post office and then let us know their reply if any!

Comment

Originally posted by davec2019 View Post
          If they are unsuccessful will it just be passed onto another company to try and get money?
          I don't want to pay their costs but in turn, I don't want to end up causing loads more issues for my self.
          Never had a response but also never heard from them so far but that's not to say the same will happen to everyone. History suggests that by ignoring the letters they will continue to harass you. These firms and other companies tend to prey on those they think are vulnerable and believe they have an opportunity to extract money from.

Regulated firms don't typically want to attract unwanted attention from their regulators if they can help it and the more people that report the same issue, the more likely the regulator will have a motive to investigate. That example letter makes it clear that what they are demanding is not recoverable unless Sainsbury's can prove that they have actually suffered a loss - more times than not, their business has not been significantly disrupted or that staff diverted from their usual activities and the costs (in my opinion) are dressed up as legal costs from the third party debt collector.

It's entirely up to you how you wish to approach it. Not responding always runs the risk that they might issue proceedings against you if they think you will pay up before it goes to court but on the other hand, sending them a robust response indicates that you may have received advice and assistance and you know your rights as to what can or cannot be recovered. They are not going to waste resources pursuing a claim that is already dubious before proceedings have started.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X