• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claim form recieved at former address, but resident in Portugal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claim form recieved at former address, but resident in Portugal

Hi, I'm really hoping someone can help. I've received a claim form and I've responded using MCOL. However, I'm finding it hard to work out the next steps, I'm not a UK resident and only received the claim as my friends know the new occupier of the property and passed it on. The claimant is a former council landlord, I'm happy to make arrangements to pay and have been emailing the solicitors, I even made an offer but I was unable to complete their income and expenditure form as it was so badly formatted that it made no sense as soon as I added anything. A further complication is that I technically don't have any income and only take dividends from my Ltd company that | freelance through. I've followed up with the solicitor and sent an alternative income form.

Claim issued 19 Oct
    Response submitted and acknowledged 23 October

What should the next step be? how can I make an arrangement to pay?

I'm super stressed by this and it's making my anxiety the worst it has been in years (the whole reason the debt exists), the added complication of no longer being in the UK is making this even harder, especially with post between Portugal and the UK notorious for being stopped by customs, even through it contains documents.

Sorry for the ramble

Happy to pay for advice or help

Panicked in Portuga
    Tags: None

Is it a council tax debt?

Comment

Beryl, you should follow up with the solicitors. Press them for a response to your offer.

Have you filed a defence to the claim against you?

Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

atticus Not filed a defence as I'm not sure what to file and where. I've emailed the solicitors again to ask for a response

islandgirl no, it's rent arrears

Comment

Oh dear. You may already have a default judgement against you.

Look at the guide in the link in my signature.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

atticus thanks, I've advised both the claim solicitor and court of my Portugal address... I'll have to look tomorrow see what they say

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X